Cold roof deck ventilation - necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen notes on a cold roof system on the web link (see below )I notice that it mentioned that sometimes cold roofs need ventilation and I wondered it if is possible to not have ventilation?:

http://www.rooftechnology.co.uk/flat_roofing_insulation.html

We are planning a cold roof deck above a bedroom which will form a roof terrace.

Due to space constraints, it is currently designed as a cold roof construction -

The design comprises terrace tiles on spacers on EPDM single ply membrane on WBP ply on timber firrings laid to fall on 150mm Rockwool insulation within 150mm timber roof joists, vapour barrier above ceiling boards.

Can we do a similar cold roof construction without ventilation requirement or as we will have firrings for the flat roof drainage, should this be utilised as a ventilation zone? Due to a perimeter barrier issues the current design has a gable end balustrade channel detail that makes side ventilation difficult to achieve. Basically, ventilation will be difficult as there will be a fixed continuous balustrade channel for a glass balustrade all round the external edge of the roof terrace.

I wondered if we used celotex/kingspan between the joists and siliconed and taped the joins in the celotex and used insulated plasterboard on the ceiling with a full vapour barrier above it, whether this would be acceptable and would avoid the need for ventilation?

I hope someone can help! Thanks in advance! :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back