Cold room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grateful for some advice. I have a room I'm about to refurbish, not looking to cut corners or do it on a shoestring. The room is always a few degrees colder than anywhere else in the house, it's noticeable when you walk in. It's cavity construction, damp-free with good window and French doors with flat roof above.

About half of the walls are buried 5ft in next door's soil, which I thought would insulate the room, but not so. There's a concrete floor and the carpet always feels cold. My question is what would be a belt and braces approach to sorting this out? Board over the floor and insulate? Stud wall with insulation along the buried section? Replace old rock wool in the ceiling with some decent insulation? All of the above?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All of the above?
Correct.

You may also want to look at any drafts around the french doors etc.

When insulating, it is as important to do it robustly as it is to do it to the correct thickness.

Be aware also of the problems associated with condensation, particularly the roof and take measures to avoid, i.e vapour barriers and venting etc.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's an extension with a new felt roof. Previous owners did it and it looks really sound, being only 2 years old. I might be stuck with trying to improve things from the inside, which I know isn't ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back