Cold Spots on all Rads since Combi move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hu guys, can some one help me out, I have had my combi boiler moved about 6 meteres away from where it was originally.
It is on the ground floor, from the Combi to the point where the pipes run upstairs is about 7 meters, then 5 metres up to the next floor.
Could this be the problem, can I get around it by either adding another pump to the sytem or upgrading the one thats all ready i there. I have tried balancing them out but I just dont think the flow rate is there

It is a Ravenheat Silver star I got about 3 years ago from B&Q.

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
I presume you have bled all the rads? Are the cold spots top or bottom?

You might have dislodged some sediment during the move.

Did you flush and inhibit the system from new?

Did you use big pipes when extending to the new position or are there obstructions to flow?

Hi,
All the rads are new, as is most of the pipe work, the cold spots are at the bottom. The only pipe that was not replaced was the older 15mm copper upstairs. Downstairs has been replaced with 22mm flow and return and 15mm to the rads.

phinor said:
... the cold spots are at the bottom...
Sediment or insufficient flow. Give it a chemical clean if you have not done already to remove flux residues and grime, refill with inhibitor..
After cleaning, turn off some of the rads to see if the flow makes all the others really hot (I say do this after cleaning so you do not wash any sediment round and perhaps clog the boiler or pump).

Make sure all valves are fully open

Check pump is at high speed.

If you had black sediment in the old rads when you took them off it may have clogged or damaged the pump.

You say you have a combi so no 3-way valve to cause probs. But I am not familiar with combi systems so there might be something I haven't experienced. IANAP.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys, I was informed that they flushed the whole lot out when they moved the combi boiler.
I have how ever just had some of the flooring up and some sections of the flow and return under the floor are only 15mm.

Do you think this could be the problem, I am going to call them back and ask them why it has been done this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back