Commissioning part-installed Gas Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new gas combi connected (and electrics) to new CH system and domestic water system by a non-Corgi plumber. He said he'll get a Corgi guy to finish it off. That was 6 months ago!

So how do I go about getting it commissioned? How much is it likely to cost (Somerset)?

He didn't even connect the gas supply from meter to combi (about a 10-15m run from ground to attic where combi is), so commissioning plumber would have to do that as well.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that corgi registered engineers aren't allowed to commission work they haven't installed themselves.

Pete

sorry I misread what you wrote. I guess if he hasn't touched any of the gas side of things then there won't be a problem for a corgi registered person to come in and connect it up to the gas and commission it.

TimW said:
He didn't even connect the gas supply from meter to combi

I should hope not! Gas pipes must be installed by a CORGI. They have to leak test it which is something you or I would not be able to do satisfactorily. Your plumber obviously realises this.

If you watched that "million pound property experiment" there was one episode where the plumber who installed the gas pipes was a complete gimp. The amount of gas leaking into the room from under the floorboards wasn't enough to smell but was enough to make a pretty big bang. Luckily the "sniffer" used to check it out picked this up before they lit anything.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. Do you have a ballpark figure for cost? £100-200? £200-£300? £300-£400?

Who can tell...finding someone to take it on will be a problem as your original plumber has obviously discovered. Has he done half a job or just a quarter?. Most engineers will not take it on, if you have a problem the corgi engineer will be on the receiving end as he will be your last contact even if the problem is down to poor installation.
That said as a rough guide, personally, without seeing the job or boiler make , type or system I would say about the £200 mark with the extra installation checks.

Looks like the boiler (a Chaffoteaux Britony) has all water connections (inc. filling loop), the flue, overflow pipe and the electrics to a remote timer in place. Just the gas to do - about a 10-15m run from outside meter into house then from ground floor to attic.

I'd be happy to pay £200 (given what the last bloke charged!) for that.

As an aside I had a look at a neighbour's gas combi installation (her old boiler died) and my guy's done a much neater job.

I am training with a corgi guy and we charge £100 to commission a boiler

You need the commissioning for the warrenty on your boiler,

You will pay a bit more for the gas to be fitted, but you also have to bare in mind that there are regulations for example the possition of the flue, all this info is in the boiler manual have a read to make sure it has been fitted in the correct possition or the corgi guy will slap a danger notice on the boiler !! corgi have to work by the book its law.

Pete

What you need to understand is building regs. If you do not have a competent person install the system/boiler, then the installation document cannot be signed except by a building control department. The competent person status allows for SELF CERTIFICATION, not for certifying something someone else has put in. Unless the mug who signs wants to take responsibility for work someone else has done.

So if the guy who did the installation isn't a competent person, then you need a signature from the building control department.

Once the installation signature is in place, then someone can do the commissioning, and sign it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back