How much should it cost to commission a Combi Boiler?

I work in IT i don't know anything about DIY so excuse my ignorance.
My cousin is a a Gas Safe Engineer he kindly leant us his college.

The house was a 1940's house with no central heating in at all.
So this college who ill call peter came around and worked for us. He worked very hard and would often start at 7 am and not finish until 7 pm.

He plumbed in the whole house and installed the boiler all I know if there is no warm water as because the gas has not been turned on.

Anyway im going to arrange for a local company to commission the boiler as my cousin has got into mood for other reasons.

So as im sure its common practice for an apprentice to do all the plumbing are you saying that only a Gas Safe engineer can install the boiler..bit late now.. and does it really matter long as its been over seen by a Gas Safe approval engineer?

Sponsored Links
It's your life, and the lives of others living with you.

I'd want a registered Gas Safe engineer to inspect the installation of the boiler completely, and then commission it; it's not going to cost £120, but at least it won't cost your life.

There are some things you don't want to cheap out on.

It's your life, and the lives of others living with you.

I'd want a registered Gas Safe engineer to inspect the installation of the boiler completely, and then commission it; it's not going to cost £120, but at least it won't cost your life.

There are some things you don't want to cheap out on.

What's that in English?

English is what I used; I have no idea what the hell you're practising.

Get a qualified heating engineer to look at your boiler.

Sponsored Links
I'm a little shocked that Tony will do a commission for £84. That is frankly daft.

Expect to pay around a days labour assuming there are no underlying problems found.

However, for it to be legal, the boiler effectively has to be reinstalled - even if that means removing it and the flue,l then refitting once the strength of the mounting has been checked.

If that means a new flue because the original was cemented in then so be it.

Remember this is not the problem of the person doing the work at this stage.

Fundamentally we are NOT supposed to commission other people's work; and this has been decreed by Gas Safe.

However, a certain amount of pragmatism has to be found somewhere so that people are not left high and dry.

I have been advised by Gas Safe that we CAN commission any boiler regardless of who has installed it.

This is because its better commissioned than not ( which could mean that there are serious safety issues ).

But for £84 that is only to commission it and complete the Benchmark Certificate and not to reinstall and notify it which is a lot more.

Tony

I have been advised by Gas Safe that we CAN commission any boiler regardless of who has installed it.

This is because its better commissioned than not ( which could mean that there are serious safety issues ).

But for £84 that is only to commission it and complete the Benchmark Certificate and not to reinstall and notify it which is a lot more.

Tony

Thanks Tony seems like common sense to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back