cost for commissioning a combi boiler

soubriquet said:
And, ref Oilman, you are so right... Corgi registration is not very well understood, It costs us an arm and leg, we have to redo all our exams at great cost every five years, and can't fix grannys boiler at the weekend if we're registered as employees of a firm, unless it's a company job, or we risk five years in jail for doing what we are doing every other day of the week.
In what other skilled trade or profession are you deemed to become incompetent at the stroke of midnight five years after qualifying?

You could of course register yourself personally in addition to your company reg if your granny needed a lot of work doing.

Sponsored Links
You have just bought a house where the central heating system has been put in by a non-corgi registered person and the boiler has not been commisioned. That is what has happened to us and I understand that the boiler is illegal as the flue is to near the coalhouse door.

Sponsored Links
Does that mean I can't get an answer to my question. What do you do if you have had a boiler installed by a diy-er and it hasn't been commisioned?

taydo said:
...as i understand it the law says anyone can install a central heating system and charge for it what you must not do is run a gas supply to it and charge for that part of the work...

Not true. You mustn't install any part of a heating system that may affect the gas safety of the system. At a minimum that includes putting the boiler on the wall and installing the flue.

The following is lifted from th eCORGI web site:

Q: I am a qualified plumber, and have been in the plumbing industry for years. I am, however, not registered with CORGI. Can I install a boiler and pipework and have a CORGI-registered installer connect the gas and commission the installation?
A: NO! Many people are under the illusion that they can carry out this activity as it's being tested by a registered installer. The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, Reg. 2 (23) states: 'The definition of "work in relation to a gas fitting" lists specific activities covered by this term, but this list is not exclusive and other operations may also comprise "work". The definition is wide-ranging and includes activities that could affect, in any way, the safety of a gas fitting (whether new or existing, and whether or not it contains gas)'.

I always loved this bit, I always quote it to the tarts that want me to sign-off their work............... :LOL: :LOL:

And so what does a home owner who has had a boiler fitted by a non corgi registered person need to do to make their house safe?

The installation of a gas boiler is a controlled activity under the building regulations.

The installation should be notified by the registered installer who can do that cheaply through some bodies who arrange this. Anyone else can notify directly but might face charges of perhaps up to about £130.

If you want to take the view you were not the owner when the boiler was installed and so were not the person responsible for notifying then you can ignore that aspect. ( I am not suggesting thats the correct legal interpretation though ).

For your own peace of mind you could just get a service which has been requested to include a full safety check. Most would cover all this anyway but in your case would be better mentioned beforehand so that the engineer can take that into account.

I am assuming its no longer under warrantee!

If the installation is seriously deficient you MIGHT have a claim against the seller. The general interpretation of a house purchase is that "buyer beware".

If you had a full survey then that should have identified any very serious errors but surveyors are not normally very clued up on boilers and have so many let outs in their conditions that they would wriggle out of any claim against them.

Tony Glazier

PS Rather than adding to an old thread it would have been better to start with your own and included the boiler model as some have specific special aspects like Powermaxes et.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back