Boiler not commissioned/registered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, wonder if someone can help.

My dad had an extension built and made the mistake of hiring a builder who was a bullshitter.

As part of the work the builder subcontracted the plumber who came in and installed a new boiler last April. He didn't fill in the benchmark certificate or notify building control - Dad didn't know this was a requirement until Building Control told him at the end of the job!

I presume the work is competent as the plumber came in his employer's works van at weekends/evenings. The company that employs him has several heating and gas engineers and is listed on the Gas Safe Register. However he is not registered in his own right.

Things ended badly with the builder who dissolved his business while doing Dad's job! However, presumably out of guilt or in an attempt to screw more cash our of us he has said he will help us get the gas certificate by getting someone else in to commission it and fill in the benchmark form.

My questions are:

1 - Is what the builder is proposing legal? From checking it seems that only the bloke who installed the boiler can commission it?

2 - If the bloke who installed it is not on Gas Safe Register in his own right but as part of a company then is he legally allowed to install/commission it.

3 - Do we have any redress?
4 -Will reporting to Gas Safe make a difference?

5 - How do we make it safe? In the circumstances BCO has said he'll let us off certificate. IE From a safety point of view is a gas safety certificate enough or should we get someone else to commission it. Would recommissiong the boiler involve removing and reinstalling again?
My priority now is safety, then cost, but dont want to be ripped off

Sponsored Links
is the new boiler installation complete,is it up and working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back