Boiler commissoning

I thank everyone for the replies. I've said all I need to say, it seems some people are just fast for an argument or seem to want to believe I'm using non gas safe registered fitters regardless what I say.

Do I meet every tradesman at a property and check their credentials and shoe size? No, I do not. I use a well established letting agent who I've known for a number of years and am more than 100% confident everyone he uses is gas safe. It just seems to me certain plumbers aren't as conscientious as others when it comes to what paperwork they're required to do after the job is done.

Sponsored Links
I thank everyone for the replies. I've said all I need to say, it seems some people are just fast for an argument or seem to want to believe I'm using non gas safe registered fitters regardless what I say.

Do I meet every tradesman at a property and check their credentials and shoe size? No, I do not. I use a well established letting agent who I've known for a number of years and am more than 100% confident everyone he uses is gas safe. It just seems to me certain plumbers aren't as conscientious as others when it comes to what paperwork they're required to do after the job is done.
Seriously!! You trust a letting agent that employs Gas Safe engineers that don't do their work properly???!!
I'd sue the letting agents arze off

I very much doubt there is an agent Dickie. It was all written in first person in the OP not as though they had agents in. Agents were only brought in when they didn't receive the answer they wanted to hear as so many do.

Seems these "plumbers" are fitting and having things signed of. If I were the OP I'd get a Gas Safe heating engineer to do heating.

Jon

Anyone can register the warranty.

Only a genuine RGI can commission and notify Building Control.

You seem to be taking a lot of risks for no benefit.

Tonby

Sponsored Links
Just to pick up on a point you made about registering warranties and registering with building control.
Some manufacturers when you register the warranty register the appliance with Gas safe and with building control on the installers behalf, but not all do so it is possible to only register the warranty, if a new boiler install has not been registered with local building control could cause a problem if you try to sell

Near where I live there is a bridge over the road with restricted width, so there are traffic lights. Many locals including my neighbours go through on the red light.

As far as I know these people all have driving licences.

In the gas industry, there are 100% more registered individuals than there were 12 yrs ago. They all hold valid gas licences, but some do not play by the rules either.

I can assure you that letting agents use the lowest cost contractors, because if they don't, their Landlords shop around and berate them for their invoices being too high.

And the lowest cost contractors are usually the ones to cut corners. They metaphorically drive through red lights, if you like.

Personally, my company will never work for a letting agent. I'd rather open a pie shop.

Near where I live there is a bridge over the road with restricted width, so there are traffic lights. Many locals including my neighbours go through on the red light. As far as I know these people all have driving licences.

Obviously the local council decided that there was a risk of head on collision so they installed lights. Or there is very little risk of a head on ( clear visibility ) but lights are installed to give alternate priority so that a solid strem of vehicles in one direction is broken to allow vehicles going the other way to have time to cross the bridge.

Obviously it is "safe" to ignore them as ( as far as is known ) there have been no serious incidents caused by someone jumping the red.

If a police officer saw some one jumping the red it coud result is a stern verbal warning and no paper work or it could be a paper work record of the offence. Without a paper work record the reasons people jump reds ( lights that never go green when the bridge is clear... etc etc ) will never be known.

Like wise when installers make errors / ommissions it requires a paper work report of each error / ommission to make it known that training and / or check lists need to be improved.

And the lowest cost contractors are usually the ones to cut corners.

Not always true, some good tradesmen can charge lower rates per hour because they at work most of the time and not sitting at home waiting for the next customer to appear. Hence their hourly rate does not have to cover the time spent between jobs.

I can assure you that letting agents use the lowest cost contractors, because if they don't, their Landlords shop around and berate them for their invoices being too high.

I have to say in many cases that's not the reason at all.

It is so they can charge their clients much more.

No scope if the RGI charges £85 !

But if its only £35 then they can charge £85 and make £50 for themselves.

There is an agent I know who wants us to charge him an artificially high invoice price and then pays us our real charge!

It costs the installer less that £3 to register a new boiler with Gas Safe on-line who then notify Building Control...just laziness on the part of the installer to not do it!..unless he has some other reason for not registering it of course.

Oh and it can be done retrospectively up to 6 years later.

But that the impression you are giving when you tell us what your installers are not doing.

Part of the commissioning is to complete the Benchmark ( do they do that ? ) register the warranty ( do they do that ? ) and notify Building Control.

Why would any genuine RGI not want to do the job properly?

As well as telling you porkies about a CP12 being the solution?

Non registered installers ( that's illegal ) get an RGI to do a CP12 and give it to the landlord.

Many landlords knowingly use unregistered installers because they are cheaper! Then use the CP12 as their "make it half legal" solution.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back