part diy install

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
adwt2004 said:
I want a combi fitted. I am going to dry run the gas pipe but leave to corgi to solder and check for leaks.

Just out of curiosity, how have you work out what size pipe to use to 'dry run' the Gas pipe?

kevplumb said:
explain :?: MISTER

If you mean me Kev, I meant their lass had cut his Daggles off years ago... It's normal practice in the North East, at least that's what our lass said when she did mine :eek:

kevplumb said:
not you marra
the second hand parts salesman ;)

When you say... 'second hand parts' you're not still talking about 'scromtum's' are you? eurrrrrr!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: There can't be much business in that surely?

adwt, go with arfurrr's advice. Get a Heating Engineer in before you start. Make sure you do what he says. There wll be things you won't think of.
If you get a boiler with a wall bracket with the pipe unions on it, I don't see why you shouldn't hang that bit.

I don't know you. I can't just accept that you know anything. I have to assume everything you do needs checking. SO it winds up to be a day's work, with the meeting up front etc. And you'll want free advice if anything seems odd later.

What you want is the "expensive" part of the job done, so you'll have to pay over the average rate for it. It's very expensive to run a business. Anyone doing so will want to earn a good wage or there's no point. Transco pay £40k to meter fitters, with free van, holiday pay...
Big Gas firms might charge £2000 or much more to swap a £650 combi in a day. That's £200 per hour or so.
I have done what you want, for around £400, and regretted it - I'd have earned more servicing boilers for the same time and a lot less effort.

ChrisR said:
Transco pay £40k to meter fitters, with free van, holiday pay...

Not up here they're not Chris... Unfortunately :cry: I'd be up for that if they did.

Back to the original poster! I have only just seen this thread!

I am always happy to do what this fellow wants. He must have read one of my explanations of what CORGI require before.

We charge £180 and do it in two visits. It starts with a 20-30 minute telephone discussion of the siting to ensure its going to meet the regulations and the gas pipe sizing.

We make one visit when the location is ready, flue hole drilled and mounting bracket mounting marked out with at least THREE fixing points. We drill the holes and fix the bracket. Together we lift the boiler, I assemble and fit the flue and then go away.

Another day, after he has fitted and pressurised the water pipes and sorted out any ( all ! ) leaks, I return, solder his precut gas pipes, test the gas supply and commission the boiler and complete the paper work and notify.

I think this is good value for a DIY installer because he gets a professional quality job done properly and totally in accordance with the regulations at a minimum cost. I dont allow him to cut corners! They want a quality job and seem happy with this.

Tony

He must have read one of my explanations of what CORGI require before.
Corgi do not have requirements, only the law does.

We charge £180 and do it in two visits
Sure you do. I've got this 80Kg 60kW one to go in the loft with 30 metres of 35mm gas pipe.... ;)

ChrisR said:
Corgi do not have requirements, only the law does.
CORGI require you to notify! ( As a condition of registration! )

The LAW does not require that !!!

I would say they are acting ultra vires but I dont have the funds to legally challenge them.

Agile said:
Back to the original poster! I have only just seen this thread!

I am always happy to do what this fellow wants. He must have read one of my explanations of what CORGI require before.

We charge £180 and do it in two visits. It starts with a 20-30 minute telephone discussion of the siting to ensure its going to meet the regulations and the gas pipe sizing.
Tony

Wish you lived near bristol Agile! I admit £150 is probably too little so I would pay £200-250 for this sort of thing. What you describe is exactly what i want. I'll put you up for a night :D

Know any one in bristol by any chance?

raden said:
Blasphemous said:
kevplumb said:
corgiman said:
but i would rather slice me own scromtum off with a blunt spoon than accept anything they do as mine,

tought thee well son ;)

Kev, I thought you said their lass had done that years ago :LOL:

Should have done it to his father

he was going to do it but couldn't find two bricks LARGE enough :):):):):)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back