DIY Boiler part instalation Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating my house and need to save cash where I can, but not in the MOST important areas.

Would I be able to get a corgi engineer to finish this off legally ??

I will need my boiler connected to the gas and commissioned properly, I have installed the water side of my new boiler as i've been involved in plumbing for the years ( mainly installing new pipework in kitchens and installing new appliances) and am more than capable of soldering copper pipe to an excellent standard, the boiler is a Istor HE and at the moment i've been run the immersion part only to test the pipework is all OK under heat.

I have not cut the flue hole in the wall or run any gas pipework whatsoever, (even though I legally could), as I recon that would be seen by a Corgi engineer as dodgy and think they would probably refuse to complete the job.

Would I be likely to get a refusal ??

Sponsored Links
Yep, phone a few local plumbers, I got four quotes, the cheapest were £350 plus vat and £400 plus VAT for fitting gas to and comissioning my combi. Worth it for the legal side and warranty.

bloody cheap

but as long as you dont hang the boiler (BTW I KNOW you dont hang an istor so leave me alone you know what I mean) and dont touch the gas OR the flue I see no harm in it.

To do the job properly and in accordance with the regulations the CORGi has to:-

1. fit any wall mounting bracket.

2. assemble and fit the flue.

3. run and connect the gas supply.

4. commission the boiler.

5. notify CORGI who inform Building Control.

It seems that you have already chosen the location which may not meet the regulations.

Also you have fitted the mounting bracket!

There is nothing to stop you from drilling the flue hole.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony will be expecting this, cos I always point out, that~:
There IS no list of who can do what. It's all between you and the Corgi chap.

One area where you get into hot water :cool: is with the flushing. If he wants evidence you've done it, it's tricky.

There is no "list" as such but I have established by questioning several CORGI Inspectors exactly what is permitted and what is not. Most is common sense to a CORGI.

Many CORGI registered people do not understand whats required which is why you will get a multitude of different responses. Most will not want to be involved.

At the other extreme, I know of someone who has been banned for allowing his CORGI number to be used by the non-reg for signing off boiler instals.

Tony

The nonsense is illustrated in those two posts - in one "the regulations" are referred to and in the other it appears to depend on the combined opinions of "several CORGI inspectors". So one alone , could not be relied upon to get it right? Not that Corgi Inspectors make the law.

I too have had different opinions from the few I've asked.

Correct Procedure is not determiined by taking the average of opinion. And there is no Regulation to quote.

The "list" as given is little more than fanciful and easily shot to pieces. It certainly doesn't display the requirement of being "common sense".

All this great great information, Thanks

The boiler is in a purpose built Boiler room, with ventilation, (although I belive it is not a requirement for the Istor), There is a choice of 2 positions for the flue as the boiler is in a corner, Both positions are no-where near windows, doors or walkways which is why it was was planned to be where it is.

So i'll let Mr Corgi decide where he'd prefer to have the flue

As for flushing, the CH pipework is a very small run (about 8 meters in total), as is goes to an underfloor heating manifold which was flushed seperatly, The boiler is not connected to this as yet, and so it could be flushed with ease by whoever comissioned it.

He'll be installing new pipe from the meter, so again he can see that no gas has beed played with (the new meter has not even arrived yet)

I've also left the protection valve discharge position to the commissioner as I know there is certain rules regardig this.

So all in all, Generally you think I should be OK to get the it finished off legally.

Thanks Guys

Flushing the system does not have to be done by a CORGI although the details have to be recorded on the Benchmark Certificate. Its best if you keep the chemical containers for him to see.

You can choose and drill the hole for the flue. It must discharge over at least 2.5m of land in your ownership and not otherwise cause a nuisance.

Tony

Agile said:
There is no "list" as such but I have established by questioning several CORGI Inspectors exactly what is permitted and what is not.
That's a waste of time - the opinion of a CORGI inspector carries no more weight than, well, a Corgi.

Many CORGI registered people do not understand whats required...
And many don't seem to know that CORGI don't make the relevant regulations - they don't even enforce them. :rolleyes:

So all in all, Generally you think I should be OK to get the it finished off legally.
No Problem that I can see.
Still, you never know what some people will dream up as an extra requirement. :rolleyes:

I've just completed an install myself, everything but the gas connection and comissioning. All you have to do is read the instructions.

A few corgi guys refused to commission it because they told me it was 'against the regs', but I had already called corgi to enquire. Corgi were happy that if I owned the house then that was fine. I did ask is there was a Corgi rule about mis-representation by its members.... (runs for cover).

I got a great local Corgi guy to do it in the end, for a few hundred quid inc BR notification / Benchmark. It all works perfectly :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back