part diy install

Strachan said:
Acceptable on the gas maybe, but what about the electrics? I have to get my electrician to leave a minor works certificate. Is that not the case for a diy install?

Yes; you will still require a minor works certificate for the installation which needs to be registered with Building Control... Additionally; the new boiler needs to be notified to Building Control as well under the Part L requirements.

Sponsored Links
And here endth the lessonth praise be to himth of isth of a higher planththth our father water systems

my tuppence worth is that as old water says him self you must be COMPETANT, if you aint then dont bother if you are fill your boots and good luck in finding someone willing to commision it for you cos i surley would not and not many lads I know would either.

would you come in and accept responsiblilty for someone inexpeianced who did your job??

Strachan said:
Acceptable on the gas maybe, but what about the electrics? I have to get my electrician to leave a minor works certificate. Is that not the case for a diy install?

I know an electrician who will do it for me for free and certify if required :D or i can do it and he certify.

adwt2004 said:
Strachan said:

I know an electrician who will do it for me for free and certify if required :D or i can do it and he certify.

blimy charlie post that fools number so we can all use and abuse him, what the hey he only studied for ages and work his arse off so that he can provide this service to all and sundrie for free

He reminds me of all the doctors barriesters surgeons that I know YAY

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
And here endth the lessonth praise be to himth of isth of a higher planththth our father water systems

my tuppence worth is that as old water says him self you must be COMPETANT, if you aint then dont bother if you are fill your boots and good luck in finding someone willing to commision it for you cos i surley would not and not many lads I know would either.

would you come in and accept responsiblilty for someone inexpeianced who did your job??

I would if they did it correctly. But as stated i won't be touching gas, flue side and my job won't kill anyone if done incorrectly. So a comparison can't be made.

so what is the difference between that and running the gas pipe? do that wrong and boom poof turns to shyte

:)

blimy charlie post that fools number so we can all use and abuse him, what the hey he only studied for ages and work his a**e off so that he can provide this service to all and sundrie for free

He's in the family and very helpful guy. I offer to pay very reasonable amounts but he never accepts. I owe him a lot for his help and he know's i appreciate it.

so what is the difference between that and running the gas pipe? do that wrong and boom poof turns to shyte

The fact i'm not connecting it or soldering it. And that you can check for a pressure drop whereas i can't.

MOD 2

you have been warned

go away you sorry git

I think that's out of order. Everyone has their opinion and people don't come here to be abused by mods.

If you`re not confident on the gas then don`t do it. That`s all the lads on here are trying to say. Bonus on the electrics front. But, as posted by others and seconded by myself, you`ll be pushed to find an rgi willing to certify it. Good luck.

if he puts his name to your work the man is still a fool, a lovely one no doubt but a fool nonetheless

I know registered installers that sign off work for people... But generally it is for people they have worked with in the past; as such they know the standards of that person.

When it comes to signing off a customer's workmanship - How do we know that the system has been properly flushed? How do we know that the new boiler isn't a back-door reject? How can we confirm that all the preparation work to the wall has been done to adequately support the appliance. We cannot.

From reading "between the lines" I would suggest that you are not after a part DIY install at all... You are looking to supply and someone else to fix it into place... Which means that the DIY debate does not come into it at all and many will do the job.

What we don't want to encourage is people hanging the appliance; fixing and sealing the flue and plugging in their newly erected gas pipe; for us to come sign a bit of paper - That's just wrong; immoral and illegal.

GasAid Out.

corgiman said:
if he puts his name to your work the man is still a fool, a lovely one no doubt but a fool nonetheless

He's no fool, he wouldn't certify anything unsafe, he would re-do it himself if required. Because of my thoroughness i often ask him to scrutinise anything i do electric wise, nothing wrong so far.

What we don't want to encourage is people hanging the appliance; fixing and sealing the flue and plugging in their newly erected gas pipe; for us to come sign a bit of paper - That's just wrong; immoral and illegal.

I agree

1st thing , get with the program
2nd thing , get a RGI round and discuss your requirements , he will tell you about your choosen location gas pipe runs , sutability etc etc .
3rd thing , explain that you will run the DCW , DHW , flow and return and test the supply for leaks , so the RGI can connect to them knowing they are safe . If they fail its all your fault not the RGI .
If you dont do this or there is a problem the RGI will still want paying for there time .Also ask where the gas pipe is to run and explain that you will have moved all furniture , lifted carpets/laminate and floor boards etc etc and that you will refit them .
4th thing , Don`t tell them what you are going to pay .
5th thing , good luck .

adwt2004 - Best take Gasaid's advice and try installers locally, though I fear you'll only find ones with s*dall else to do or the type that a certain person (on this forum) so regularly admires.

adwt2004 said:
corgiman said:

He's no fool, he wouldn't certify anything unsafe, he would re-do it himself if required. Because of my thoroughness i often ask him to scrutinise anything i do electric wise, nothing wrong so far.

none of my business really, just my opinion. I have several mates who are smart and thorough but i would rather slice me own scromtum off with a blunt spoon than accept anything they do as mine, as I could never be 100%

but i am sure your mate knows what he is doing and you will get a nice cheapy cheap job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back