DIY Combi Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to be installing central heating in my new house and just want to check if my proposals make sense.

I'm going to get a Corgi in for a chat beforehand also to make sure they're happy with what I propose and are happy to commission the boiler.

I'll do it in a list of what I think needs doing / what I intend to do....

1. Install new 22mm copper pipe from Gas meter at front of house under living room floor then up into rear bedroom and across into airing cupboard. (Leaving open at both ends to be connected etc by Corgi) Total run approx 15 Mtrs with 13 bends resulting in an equivalent length of 21.5M. Total Max gas flow req'd is 2.3M3/h

2. Install radiators in each room, upstairs will be fed by pre-installed 10mm branched off a 22mm main feed. Downstairs will be two drops, one solely for the kitchen in 15mm, one for two rads, lounge and dining again in 15mm.

3. Hang boiler on wall connect up cold water, hot water, heating flow and return.

4. Connect overpressure vent through wall and go horizontally outside slightly before down and inch or so and facing wall. (This is to avoid the vent being directly above kitchen outside door.

5. Connect condensate drain and lag is it acceptable to run this internally across bathroom under floor to an alternative outside drain 'hopper'.

6. Fill system and flush through with cold water for a short period.

7. Fill with flush and leave for however long it says then drain and refill.

8. Corgi to then come and connect and test gas supply at both ends, install flue and perform boiler commissioning.

Does this all sound ok??? The only bits I am unsure about is the condensate drain and the flushing procedure.

Thanks for reading all this! Cheers.

Sponsored Links
1) pick a bigger output boiler if you want a good hw supply
2) Your gas pipe would be too small with the figs you give, honest
3) Whether your corgi lets you put in a gas pipe, or hang a boiler, is up to him
4) condensate - see mfrs intrs

Loads of bits and pieces - ask your corgi. There's bound to be things you didn't know you didn't know...

I suggest you mention on the phone before they come over. Most will feel their nose being put out of joint if you give them this laundry list when they turn up. There is a difference between installing and commissioning and most people you call will earn their income from the former.

Not being funny, but I doubt you will find anyone who will put their name to commissioning it if you do everything you propose on the list.

Thanks for your replies,

I asked the questions on here before I ask a Corgi as I obviously don't want to put their nose out of joint....

I want to work with them and do as much as possible to save cash as it is very very tight at the moment! :(

Is there anything obvious I've missed is basically what I'm asking? Also with regards the condensate drain it doesn't mention it other than it is a 3/4" pushfit connection.....

With regards the gas pipe I'm working from tables from www.cda.org.uk

The total length of piping is approx 15 Mtrs with 13 bends. some of these will be bends and not 90 degree elbows but I'm assuming all at elbows to get a worst case scenario...

So 15Mtrs + 13 changes of direction at an additional 0.5Mtrs per bend which comes to an equivalent 21.5Mtrs.

In 22mm a 25Mtr run can supply 2.5M3/h so is in excess of the max of 2.3m3/h req'd by the boiler.....

Have I gone wrong somewhere??

I appreciate the advice given..

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
In 22mm a 25Mtr run can supply 2.5M3/h so is in excess of the max of 2.3m3/h req'd by the boiler.....

Have I gone wrong somewhere??
No you have probably followed the tables ok but those who install gas appliances know just how accurate these tables are. Regulations require less than 1mB between meter & appliance and with your example it is unlikly to comply.

A professional uses the table and then uses his experience to decide if the results are too close for comfort - and yours are!

Oh and add No. 9 to your list - Notify Building Control as your CORGI is not able to do this on your behalf. He can SELF notify HIS but not that of another person.

That gas flow equates to a gutless combi - what is it...I'm surprised they go that low.

The pipe sizing tables don't work :LOL: - they are highly optimistic. Even with your low gas consumption anything more than say 15m equivalent will drop more than a mbar. You will have to go up to 28mm (at least part of the route).

Some will say the tables are as much as 50% undersized.

Are you teeing off for hobs/cookers - if so allow for that.

I would never use pushfit for the condensate (it comes apart) - always solvent weld. Makes sure you fit quality drain-offs on all the drops. Room stat etc required.

Honest Corgis will want to hang the boiler, run the flue, solder all your gas pipe and commission.

I've been down this route many times in the past and often it costs the customer a lot more than they thought - cos' I end up sorting out all the botched soldering/leaking joints, replacing all the rubbish TRV's/lockshields they've got from Wickes etc, re-routing pipework, cleaing endless air locks cos' their pipework resembles a snake, etc etc.

We can't unfortunately guess everything you might get wrong.

The pipe size is a good example. You'd pipeslice your copper, solder it up probably with the wrong flux, and wonder why your corgi man wants to be paid but couldn't leave you with a working boiler.

Get a corgi in first. Pay him for his visit/survey and instructions, and then for doing what you need, plus anything else he has to do. What you can do is the labouring end. Corgi fitters don't think of themselves as labourers so he'll want to be paid properly for the part you can't do.

I've done it 3 times. One (upstairs flat) missed off any drain cock from the pipes so I refused to fill them. Second one had put his boards down, so I lifted one on a whim, and found he's used flexible tap connector for a heating pipe. 3rd one was OK. Oh there was a 4th and so was that.

Gas pipe sizing tables which are nonsense, is part of it.

ibruceuk said:

Do you have a gas fire or oven/hob ? Don't forget you need to account for those too if so.

Edit : oops - gasguru got there first, whilst I was typing !

Thanks for all your advice.

Yes I do have gas fires and hob these come from the meter currently in 15mm. As the house only has 15mm in at the moment I was asking if 22mm would be sufficient from the meter.

i.e. the existing 15mm feeds teeed as soon as the pipe leaves the meter.

I have no problem allowing a Corgi to do as much or as little as he wants/requires, I'm just seeing what costs could be saved.

I was probably going to just put in the new supply and leave all joints to be soldered by a corgi anyway as I guessed a Corgi would prob prefer it that way.

All I have to do now is find one that is reasonable and very friendly :)

Hope you know the clipping distances for each size of pipe, and the joist-notching regs if you do any, and, and.....

ChrisR said:
Hope you know the clipping distances for each size of pipe, and the joist-notching regs if you do any, and, and.....

No, hence I ask questions on a DIY forum for helpful advice! I could probably find them out as I would do before I do anything and obviously I'll have a chat with my Corgi who will want everything doing to spec....

I could probably find them out
Of course you could look it up. If you were serious about what you're doing you'd have a text book with it in.

As you said "probably", you obviously haven't. And even if you did, you wouldn't know whether the tables are wrong, like the gas ones.

It's what Rumsfeld called the "unknown unknowns" which will catch you out.

There IS no single spec. I wouldn't want to be your Corgi.

I was probably going to just put in the new supply and leave all joints to be soldered by a corgi anyway as I guessed a Corgi would prob prefer it that way.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This is all what my Corgi would be able to tell me what he's happy with me doing.

I'm trying to get an idea of what is req'd etc.

You seem to assume I am going to install everything then give someone a call and say "Could you just pop down and sign it all off and I'll wing you £50 for your trouble!"

I want to work with a Corgi as I have said all along. All I came on here for is some simple straightforward advice.

ibruceuk said:
All I came on here for is some simple straightforward advice.

Ahh, but this is DIY forums - home of the professional :D .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back