Intergas combi: possible DIY install by ex-corgi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is my first time posting on the forums, though I have found them very useful in the past.
At the risk of reviving old and sometimes emotive arguments, I want to ask advice regarding DIY replacement of a combi-boiler (AAARGH!).
I was corgi registered many years ago, before changing professions, and I replaced the combi-boiler in our house fifteen or so years ago.
As such I consider myself relatively 'competent'.
I would like to install an Intergas combi-boiler as I am very impressed with what I've seen and heard. However, I would like to get it properly commissioned, preferably by a 'platinum' (Intergas approved) engineer to get the benefit of their full 5 year warranty.

I am based in Lewisham, in south east London (SE13), and wondered if their were any installers interested in quoting for any of the following options:

Option A: RGI to supply and install, commission and sign-off an Intergas 28/24 Combi compact condensing boiler, including robikit installation kit C, and flue including a retrofit elbow.
Control options to be discussed.
Boiler site is in a relatively spacious cubboard in the bathroom, using current flue hole, with good access to all pipes. ( I am currently redoing the bathroom, so I can ensure good access for condensate drain to waste)

Option B: RGI to Commission and sign off boiler which has been entirely connected up and 'pre-commisioned' by me.

Option C: RGI to connect gas and flue, commission and sign off boiler which has been wall mounted, with heating/water connected and tested for leaks by me.

Option D: Any suggestions/combinations of the above, for instance if I were to flush the system and remove the old boiler before RGI supply and install to reduce costs?

I know there are a few Intergas representatives/ installers on the forums; I would appreciate any thoughts, particularly regarding warranty issues.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the five year warrantee may be available to any RGI now?

I am always willing to do anything thats legal but for anyone to notify the installation as their own we need to fit the mounting bracket, fit the flue, fit the gas supply and commission the boiler.

If you wanted me to quote for that or just for commissioning then please email or telephone me.

I used to have a girlfriend in Lewisham. I used to visit her on the 36 bus!

Tony

Intergas were very anal about their 5 year warranty when I spoke to them a few weeks ago. Considering I have been fitting their boilers since before they were sold in the UK and saw the current model in the R&D department at IF Holland you would think they would let me off the training/sales course.

As for your competency - do you have a calibrated FGA? Have you the experience/qualification to use one? If not then no you are not competent -in which case you are left with Tony/Other RGI's willing to pimp their ACS for profit.

Sorry Tony - but you are starting to get a little too blatant.

Perhaps Mikefromlondon would be willing to impart some of his extensive talents :LOL:.

Thanks for the replies chaps, especially Tony's prompt response, to which I have already replied.
Dan as you correctly surmise, I don't have any gas analysis equipment; that's why I would leave the 'commissioning' to be done by the RGI on the DIY option B.
So if I were to work within my level of competency; that is to connect up, leak test and pressure test (albeit static) without running the boiler, then get an RGI to do their full commission, do you think that is still outside the 'competent' grey area?
Just to say that Tony has made it very clear that he would NOT notify, and he does everything by the book.
What do ex or retired engineers do for notification when their registration lapses?? (not that I'm retired, just changed jobs).

Sponsored Links
If you want a kosher notified job, you'll have to pay for a (currently) registered RGI to fit the bracket and the flue, and connect the gas.

Anything else wouldn't be 'by the book'.

As you will surely appreciate, most installers aren't going to be very interested because there is no money in fitting boilers supplied by others, only potential grief (eg: if it is damaged, parts missing/lost, if it goes wrong etc etc).

So for all these reasons, I'm out, as they say on that TV programme.

PS: If Tony isn't going to notify it, it is in your own house and you know what you are doing, you may as well fit the blighter yourself. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back