Intergas...but which...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A family member is about to get a new combi fitted at the same time as some building works. They are getting rid of a very old non-condensing vokira combi circa early 90s.

They had been recommended an installer who normally installs Ideal logic plus boilers. It seems they actually quite well regarded on here.

However, it may be that they cannot use this installer any more. They are not available at the required time.

In passing I mentioned he should look at Intergas boiler. While I try to remain impartial, they do seem to have a bit of a following on here. I have no direct evidence for their reliability, but a lot of regulars on here seems to sing it's praises.

It seems their range has expanded since I last checked.

Out of the current range, which is the best regarded model?

I see they have a new one out with a 10 year warranty (compact eco RF). It seems to have a lot more "bells and whistles", web control and such like. Are these more things to go wrong? Is it over complicated compared to a more basic Intergas option? What would most on here choose to fit out of the Intergas range? Without opening a common can of worms (I have read through the discussions over the years), how does it compare to the logic plus?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Although the Intergas is more flexible with its options and set up parameters, they are actually much simpler inside than the Ideal.. I have fitted around 5 combi compacts and I would be pleased to have one in my own home... The Ideal, not so pleased.

The Intergas does have a following on here, quite a vocal one but so does Vokera though we're more softly spoken. Have they had any problems with the 15 year old Vokera boiler? If not get another with a 10 year warranty. Will probably drop straight onto the fixing jig of the old one if the model is chosen carefully.

Sponsored Links
The wall on which it is situated is being removed so it will be a fresh install and some re-piping. So it is a clean sheet.

With intergas getting such vocal recommendations, it will be interesting to get a quote. My brother had not herd of them until I mentioned them. I guess the ones that were being considered were ideal Logic Plus, Veissmann, Vailent and Intergas. I hear good and bad about all. It is bit of a lottery I guess, even after reading through all the posts, you end up more confused than you started. What is the modulation on the intergas like, has it got a good range?

Some people say the intergas is an old design that others have moved away from. But the others defend this to the hilt. So at that point it gets confusing. I guess you just have to take a punt at some point.

There are quite a few intergas installers in my area. Is there any difference between installers with intergas? They have "platinum 5" installers but what does this mean in practice. I cannot identify if any of the installers in my area have this.

Last edited:
It is indeed an old design - 20 years old in fact, at least as far as the main heat exchanger goes. In that time they've had precisely zero heat exchanger failures - no other manufacturer even comes close to that kind of reliability. So yes, it's slightly old tech but very well proven

Go for the ECO RF and get the 10 year warranty. It's internally identical to the Combi Compact, but has an RF chip on the board which communicates directly with Honeywell wireless controls - no need to wire in a receiver. P5 Installers can be found via the "Find an installer" link on the Intergas website

Thanks - Are the installers listed all "platinum installers" or are there different grades of installer i.e non-platinum and platinum?

Go for the ECO RF and get the 10 year warranty. It's internally identical to the Combi Compact, but has an RF chip on the board which communicates directly with Honeywell wireless controls - no need to wire in a receiver.
Why would you buy something, the RF side, and not use it?

Oh dear....

Its already built into the boiler and talk directly to the thermostat - you don't need the thermostat receiver.

Depending on the thermostat you can have different features.

Oh dear....
Its already built into the boiler and talk directly to the thermostat - you don't need the thermostat receiver.

Depending on the thermostat you can have different features.
So the "receiver" is the RF part? I see. He means no need to buy a separate external receiver unit and wire than into the boiler. Oh dear...

If you do not need the RF then this model is not the one to go for. I would rather have hard wired any day as there is less to go wrong and simpler. But I can see where RF comes in handy.

Last edited:
You are making this hard work.

Extra 3 year warranty, remote diagnostics and management, slightly funkier trim. If you don't want those get the HRE.

The point of the RF is that it talks directly to the thermostat and dynamically adjusts the heating output in line with the difference between temperature setpoint and ambient.

You could acheive this with OpenTherm, but its extra work on this install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back