Which Intergas Combi Boiler For Flat?

OpenTherm was a protocol that released installers/end users from expensive proprietary control. The idea was that any OpenTherm compliant kit will work with any OpenTherm boiler. A range of third party controls companies could then develop advanced controls...that are cheaper as there would be more competition.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To be precise the OpenTherm protocol enables the thermostat to send data ( commands and parameters ) to the boiler. The programming of the processor in the boiler's control system determines how the boiler reacts to a combination of the data from the thermostat and the data from the boiler's own sensors.

It should also be noted that it's a two way process. The boiler communicates back to the stat as well

And it still doesn't comply with the regs you spanner.
The ignorance surrounding this by so-called experts is unbelievable.

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/blog/posts/2013/august/what-is-the-erp-directive/

Time Proportional and Integral (TPI). So what is needed to comply to ErP?
Class IV, type: TPI room thermostat, for use with on/off output heaters.

The TPI can be within the thermostats itself - most electronic stats have TPI. The so-called experts here seem to think the control system of the boiler and the roomstat have to be combined as one using the OpenTherm protocol modulating the burner to achieve the setpoint. No kidding. TPI does not have to modulate a burner, it can just switch it in and out when room setpoint is nearing. Using a boiler that modulates down just by monitoring the flow & return temps and a TPI stat gives pretty well the same as OpenTherm modulation.

TPI functionality explained - by Honeywell - one of the companies I worked for ;)
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjd7bbir8zeAhVL3qQKHec1A7oQFjAAegQIBBAC&url=https://www.honeywelluk.com/documents/All/pdf/TPI%20Functionality%20explained.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3cbVsv9wfDRixp-I1TsdpH

Last edited:
Going back to the original Q. The Intergas Rapid is a cheaper combi than the more expensive complex one Dannyboy recommended and more than does the job. The 24kW Dannyboy recommended may be too small for DHW needs. Needs checking. The Rapid does not have that resistor that gets so hot it discolours the plastic boiler casing around it as the one Dannyboy recommended.

The Heatmiser Touch V2 stat is a simple touch screen (like a smart phone) and very well designed and good looking. It totally complies with ErP. It can be bought for £43. They have wireless versions as well, the Neo Air, although not touch screen yet. This has the advantage that it can be a wireless stat, and later an internet hub can be added by plugging into your MODEM to control it from a Smart Phone, if you want that functionality. No need to spend a wedge on Hive, as the Heatmiser can be built up
If a stat can be hard wired avoid wireless, as it simpler.

Sponsored Links
@hard-work You really don't have a clue do you?

The ECO RF has never had a resistor such as you mention. It's also no more complicated

If you really are an industry professional PM me and I will get you on a much needed training course.....

@hard-work You really don't have a clue do you?

The ECO RF has never had a resistor such as you mention. It's also no more complicated

If you really are an industry professional PM me and I will get you on a much needed training course.....
So they have got rid of that overheating resistor? Which models still have it, in order to avoid?

You know little about control that is obvious, just what Intergas have told you.....and you want to teach me? Wow. Did you take one of those courses given out by the Dole or worked your way from doing plumbing drains?

Back to the original Q.
  • An Intergas Rapid
  • Heatmiser Touch V2.
Cheaper, simpler, easy to use, and more than does the job.

Last edited:
Yes, Dannyboy, yes. Keep it simple, easy and cheap, not unnecessary, expensive, over-complicated kit! Learn from this.

Dannyboy, you and a few of your sidekicks and have been give in good lesson. You will learn from it but would never admit that.

Dannyboy, you never wrote "numpty". What a let down.

Last edited:
I was working at a property last year, a plumber was trying to sell Ferroli to the client... :cautious:

I was working at a property last year, a plumber was trying to sell Ferroli to the client... :cautious:
The newish Modena combi is quite good indeed with only 4 moving parts. Goes to 16 litre per minute DHW. It is far better than the previous trash they made.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back