Central heating installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am installing a new central heating system in a two bed terrace. I am going to install all the water pipework and radiators and get a corgi registered plumber to connect the gas supply.

Two questions i have:

1) I will run the gas supply (only laying pipe and notching joists for plumber to connect) in 22mm from the gas meter to the boiler. The cooker going to be next to the boiler and i was wondering whether i can branch off the 22mm boiler supply or not.

2) i will run the main run of the water pipework in 22mm and branch off in 15mm to each radiator - does this sound ok?

Many thanks

Sneaky

Sponsored Links
Firstly you should leave the gas pipe installation to a CORGI. If it is a standard terrace hous and boiler is at back then I would run gas pipe in 28mm for the first 6M or so. 22mm is generally too small for the distance with a decnet sized combi running off it.

Your CORGI will size pipe correctly from his calculations. Any more than 12/15M equivalent length for a 30Kw combi should be in 28mm ;)

All the gas meters that I have seen in the UK have their connections on the top !!!

Sponsored Links
timbalcombe said:
so the back of a gas meter has a 28mm connection?

Where did this come from? if relating to my previous answer I was meaning the combi installed at the rear of the property and assumed that gas meter was at front.

Come straight off meter union wth a 28/22 reducer ;)

no the meter is not 28 mm .. u can get a 28 mm meter tail . :) or as said above 28/22 reducer ::

thank you for the help.

As stated i will not be connecting the gas supply, only notching the joists and laying the pipes in place - no joining. It just seems ludicrous to pay a plumber (or anyone) £20 an hour to do very basic labour work.

Another question:

i have found the water pressure very low due to the supply being shared with other houses. Do boilers require a minimum water supply pressure? and if so what can i do? do the water board have any obligation to provide a certain pressure or an individual supply? if i have to pay for the supply how much would it be?

thanks

Sneaky

you are liable up to your boundry .. if u call them they will test the pressure up to the boundry ... there is a minimum for a combi .. not sure of it though i am sure someone will tell u ..

If he's qualified and CORGI then £20/hr is very cheap. Double it and its still fair :rolleyes:

sneaky said:
As stated i will not be connecting the gas supply, only notching the joists and laying the pipes in place - no joining. It just seems ludicrous to pay a plumber (or anyone) £20 an hour to do very basic labour work.
If you hear a creaking sound it's because you're walking on thin ice there. It's reasonable to prepare the way for the RGI to connect up and test, but it's approaching an insult to say that it's basic work when you didn't known what pipe gauge to use.

i have found the water pressure very low due to the supply being shared with other houses.
We all share our supply with other houses. What do you mean by "low"?

Do boilers require a minimum water supply pressure?
The heating circuit of a combi is filled from the mains, and the manufacturer states the minimum pressure. The rest writes itself.

if so what can i do? do the water board have any obligation to provide a certain pressure or an individual supply?
Yes. Phone your water supplier for details.

if i have to pay for the supply how much would it be?
Eh? Do you mean how much to re-lay the part of the supply from the border of your property to the house?

If so, doesn't that somewhat depend on the length of the run, and also where/how it would enter your house?

And if you were to do such 'basic' work yourself, then surely it would cost nothing. :confused:

thankyou again for the help.

Softus- all i said was that it is very basic labour work and that i would rather do it myself than pay £20 an hour to a plumber.

I only wanted to know the size of pipe so i can notch the joists in preparation before i get the plumber in. I will then be more than happy to pay a plumber £20 an hour for the skilled task of connecting the gas supply.

For the water supply there is one stoptap in the road supplying 5 houses. The supply comes into my house and then branches to next door. I think as was said before i need to contact my water board.

I also never mentioned fitting a new water supply would be basic work and the words head, up and arse come to mind.

sneaky said:
Softus- all i said was that it is very basic labour work and that i would rather do it myself than pay £20 an hour to a plumber.
I've no idea why you've written the same thing twice. Should I repeat my answer to you, or you do just want to scroll up and read it?

I only wanted to know the size of pipe so i can notch the joists in preparation before i get the plumber in. I will then be more than happy to pay a plumber £20 an hour for the skilled task of connecting the gas supply.
You don't need a "plumber" (sic.), you need an RGI. And do you know how to notch joists in a way that doesn't materially weaken them?

I also never mentioned fitting a new water supply would be basic work and the words head, up and a**e come to mind.
Oh. The thin ice just gave way. I hope you're a strong swimmer.

i've written the same thing twice because you obviously need things explaining to you. I am trying to tell you that i willing to pay a plumber for skilled work - hope it has now sunk in.

I have said before i will use a corgi registered plumber to connect the gas so stop trying to pick stupid faults.

About notching the joists - i have a joiner working at the house at the moment and he has advised me on the best possible method to notch the joists - surely better advice than from a plumber?

Oh and the words head, up and arse no longer come to mind - i think you have now disappered up your own arse

You could have a problem with the old shared supply system,typically a 1/2" iron pipe was used to supply anything up to 10 houses,all they would have had originally was a sink and if they were lucky an outside loo,so would have been adequate.

You need to contact your local water co to carry out flow and pressure test to see if your supply is adequate for a combi,if not they can give you a cost for a separate supply to be brought in straight from the main,and disconnect you from the old shared service.

The gas pipe needs proper calculations done to establish what size to use,this depends on number of bends,elbows etc,your installer will work this out,and tell you size of joist notches ,he will also be able to tell you where to notch the joists to avoid weakening them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back