Radiator flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you flush out the radiators on a combi set up. I am having a new boiler fitted. I am adding two new radiators myself and piping up to the new boiler and getting a corgi man to commission it, but before I connect to the boiler I want to flush the whole system. How is this done please.

Sponsored Links
I am having a new boiler fitted. I am adding two new radiators myself and piping up to the new boiler and getting a corgi man to commission it, but before I connect to the boiler ...

That is illegal, see faq 13

How do you flush out the radiators on a combi set up. I am having a new boiler fitted. I am adding two new radiators myself and piping up to the new boiler and getting a corgi man to commission it, but before I connect to the boiler I want to flush the whole system. How is this done please.

You can hire a power flushing machine which you can connect to the flow/return pipes on usually the smallest & hopefully situated in downstairs kitchen radiator. This involves removing the radiator after closing down the valves on each end, draining the rad, if you are lucky enough to have drainoffs fitted, if not what are you like with a small plastic bowl / tupperware container & patience?

Setting up & using the machine can normally be demonstrated by the hirer.

Sponsored Links
No drain off's, tupperware!, suck it out with wet & dry hoover. Lot quicker and not as messy.

This is to bengasman. What is illegal about adding two more radiators and pipeing up the water supply and return pipes to a new boiler myself.

I have moved the boiler position into the garage and the two 22mm flow and return pipes are sticking out in the garage at the moment ready for the new boiler. The hole system is empty at the moment as i have had all the radiators off and fitted new valves and thermostats to all radiators,so I was wandering how to connect to one pipe to flush through and out the other pipe and also adding a cleaning agent. I presume I would need to get the system pressurised as well so would i need to connect a pressure gauge.

I,ve just thaught, could i connect a hosepipe onto one of the drain valves and fill from the mains and then when the system is full after bleeding, let the water out of another drain valve off another radiator. Assuming i block the two 22mm pipes that are open ended in the garage. This still doesn't help me regarding getting any flushing agent into the system. Any thaughts are greatly received.

Dean

Adding and removing rads is not considered gaswork, absolutely fine to do that as diy, as it does not need a CORGI label.
Taking a boiler of the wall is a CORGI job, as is putting it back, regardless whether or not the boiler was already in the house, even if it goes back in exactly the same place.
You can not do this yourself and than “have it signed off”, at least not legally.

I disconnected the old boiler myself as the old boiler is not being used. The gas has been turned off at the meter with a blanking plug and also sealed at the other end. The new boiler will be connected up by the corgi man and commissioned in its new position but I want to flush the hole system through before the boiler is connected so that A) it will save time and money and B) I can learn these skills along with other skills i have learned.

So any ideas how i get the fushing agent in the system as i connect a hosepipe from the mains water to the flow pipe, or do i just flush with water and wait until the boiler is connected up and add to a radiator and let it stay in the sealed system for a while before draining and refilling.

Hope you understand what I mean

Flushing with mains does not use cleaner, just follow directions from faq.
Once boiler is back on, you then put the cleaner in and leave for a few weeks.
Easiest is with a pump and adapter, or poor it in a towel rad if you have one.
Though technically you should have left the gas alone, it sounds like it is ok at the mo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back