Cold tap pressure has become a mere trickle? Why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

My Kitchen COld Tap in the kitchen has become a mere trickle but the cold tap in the bathroom in the sink and bath is still fine. Why could this be and is there a fast way to fix it?

Its not a combined hot and cold tap the cold tap has its own dial as does the hot tap but obviously it comes out the same nozzel.

Thanks all in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Firstly check that any mesh filter at the spout is not blocked. then check that any flexible hoses are not kinked.

Thanks, is it ok for an amature to attempt or would I risk a massive fountain of water?

What sort of tap is it? Post a photo. Might need a new washer.

Sponsored Links
Your heading indicates that you don't understand what pressure and flow are.

Any work on water supplies risks a massive fountain of water if they are not properly isolated first.

Tony

You can unscrew the filter on the nozzle without risking a fountain.

Are they 1/4 turn or screw down taps? If the latter open the cold fully then pull up on the tap head, if the flow changes then the tap needs a new washer and serviced.

If its an old style screw down type, I've had a similar situation and when I opened the tap I found that the washer had become so distorted due to people closing the tap too tightly that it jammed in the body of the tap. The washer had come off the plunger in the tap and so wasn't being lifted when the tap was turned on. A new washer did the job nicely, along with a little training in the use of the tap and the pressure needed to stop the water without destroying the washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back