Cold water just a trickle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bath with mixer taps but the cold water tap is barely a trickle.
When it was installed the plumber told my wife it wasn't a strong flow because it too far away from the tank.
That was about 10 years ago.
Initially the water flow was adequate for my wife but the last couple of years has got weaker and weaker.
The cold water in the sink in the same bathroom is perfect and if turned on while the bath cold is trickling, the bath cold water stops completely.
Underneath the bath amongst other things is a valve of some description with Caleffi on the side which is connected to the cold water pipe which goes to the tap.
At the end of the valve seems to be a slot for a screwdriver but doesn't seem to turn but if I put a bit of pressure on the slot with the screwdriver the cold water flow increases from the tap.
My wife is the only one that uses the bath (jacuzzi style with bubbles etc) so it really has gone unnoticed by me.
As far as I can remember the old bath didn't Have a problem.
I have taken a picture of the valve and will try to upload it.
Is it a job for a plumber or could I adjust the Caleffi somehow myself?
The taps are I believe a quarter turn type.
Many thanks.
Ray

Sponsored Links
Picture?

Sounds like either a valve has been left partially off or a non-return valve is sticking. If the former, it can probably be adjusted. If the latter it'll need replacing

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 142
Thanks Muggles.
Forgive my ignorance but I have posted a picture , is that the valve that needs adjusting and is it just a screwdriver job?
Ray.

Sponsored Links
That's a pressure reducing valve, probably fitted because you have low pressure hot and high pressure cold at a guess? Bit of an odd way of doing it. There's a filter in there which might have muck in it, so you could dismantle and clean, but adjusting the screw will help with flow rate so adjust at your leisure. Just be aware that if you turn it up too high it might stop the hot water coming through

I used the screwdriver method, it didn't seem to turn (very tight ) and I didn't want to force it but perhaps the pressure of the screwdriver did something because the cold water pressure is now the best it's ever been.
Many thanks for all your help!
Ray.

Forgive my ignorance yet again but will I have to turn the water off to dismantle and clean it and is it an easy job?
Thanks again.
Ray.

Yes, you'll need to turn the water off. Fairly easy provided you've got a suitable tool to unscrew the grey plastic section from the metal body

Thanks Freddo.
Very observant of you!
I did notice the packing under the pipe but not for one moment did I think of it being a manual.
I have already put the bath enclosure/surround back on but will take another look shortly.
Should the slot at the end of the valve turn like a normal screwdriver slot i.e anti to loosen clockwise to tighten?
I don't think it turned much either way but the pressure on it seemed to increase the flow, if that makes sense.
Ray

I hope that the packing is the manual ..... you wouldn't want to find some of the things I found under bath panels :eek: Apart from the one time I found £250. in obsolete notes - the bank changed them for me (y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back