Cold Water Storage Tank Cover - Hot Cylinder Overflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cleaning out a cold water tank today (ugh) - the board it should be covered by was only halfway across the top because there’s a rigid copper overflow pipe above it coming from the top of the adjacent hot water cylinder.

Are covers available with provision for this overflow? Should it enter the cold tank elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Cleaning out a cold water tank today (ugh) - the board it should be covered by was only halfway across the top because there’s a rigid copper overflow pipe above it coming from the top of the adjacent hot water cylinder.

Are covers available with provision for this overflow? Should it enter the cold tank elsewhere?
That's the correct place for the vent pipe from the HW cylinder. Hard to comment on cover availability without knowing tank shape and size, but I'd be surprised if you can't cut a hole in it, or something, for the vent pipe (the overflow from the cold water tank is something different).

Thanks - might see if I can attach a length of hose to the end of it. It’s a family standard-looking rectangular plastic 50 gallon tank.

Sponsored Links
might see if I can attach a length of hose to the end of it
Don't do that, it can change the dynamics of the system. The vent should have a long radius and then fed back down through the cover via a hole in it or a purpose made entrance

As you can see this cover has 2 raised sections on the right, one of which would be cut to allow the vent pipe to fit
th

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back