Cold water tank supplying combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My semi-detached house has a shared water supply and regularly has low pressure. 90% of the time it is manageable however when my neighbour uses water the supply drops to virtually nothing, this cuts out the combi boiler making a shower impossible. I have had the water company out and tested the supply in the street, which is more than sufficient. The cost will be around £1-2k to put a new pipe to the property. This is something I don't want to pay for. Therefore I am looking into other options. Does anyone know if I can put a cold water tank in my loft and connect this to the combi boiler. This will mean I can shower without the worry the water will disappear half way through. The hot water will then all come from the tank and the cold water from mains. If I can do this I understand the pressure from the tank will not be good, but anything will beat what I have currently got. Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The problem will be getting hot water pressure, you would need a rather large tank, very high up.

Also you shower will struggle as the hot and cold won't be balanced. I,e different pressures.

I'm assuming as you have a combi, you dont have a tank?

There is no tank at the moment. I was thinking about getting a 25 gallon tank but there would not be a great difference in height between the loft and boiler as its located on the landing.

Fit a tank to an electric shower that is suitable for a tanked cold supply. The shower will have its own integral pump. You will always have a good shower.

There are other options available but could be costly, like an accumulator or break tank and booster set.

A cheap but possibly not very good option would be a Salamander home boost pump, results are not always good but they can be fitted on mains or at cold inlet to combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
If you have a reasonable static water pressure say 2 bar.
You need a non return valve where the water supply enters your property.
You then need say 100-200litre of accumulator tanks somewhere in the house. This can be 1 big one or a number of small ones.
To store a quantity of cold water at pressure.
Fit aerator taps these use less water and therefore spread load better when more than one tap is in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back