cold water tap turns itself off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering if someone can clear up a little mystery for me. After having a burst pipe in the bathroom under the basin last week, I replaced it and took the opportunity to replace the taps as well.

Since then all has been fine, but I've noticed when I turn the tap on enough for it to be at full flow at high pressure, and then let go, it will gradually reduce and then stop. It will only stay at full flow if the tap is opened a lot more.

Dodgy tap? Was just a cheap B+Q one.

Sponsored Links
That is right
Thought so :(

Why would this happen? If the tap valve is open enough to let 20 litres/min flow out, what would make it stop flowing?? I would have thought the pressure of the water through it would have been enough to keep it forced open compared to anything like gravity or whatever is stopping it?

The water can get behind the washer/jumper and push it down - good ones are engineered to overcome this;)

Sponsored Links
The water can get behind the washer/jumper and push it down - good ones are engineered to overcome this;)

My own fault for buying the cheapest B+Q had to offer, but didn't have much choice when the water was off on a Sunday morning whilst I had to get replacements.

Reading the reviews on the website, lots of people also suffer from the same symptom of the cold turning off after a few seconds so it isn't just me!

I'll bet the taps come from the Yuk Fu brass foundry on the banks of the Yangtze ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back