Flow problem with new cold tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right I have done a search and can not find an obvious answer to my problem. I have just fitted a new hot and cold tap on a wash basin. When I turn on the cold tap the water flows for a couple of seconds then the flow reduces to zero before coming back but at a low flow rate.

The tap is new and a bu**er to fit and remove. Would this be an air lock? Or do I need to replace the tap? How can I fix this flow problem?

Sponsored Links
It would not be an airlock if it was a mains cold feed but could be if tank fed ?
Is the other tap ok ?
If so then you could swap them over (just the guts) and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply. It is an upstairs bathroom washbasin which appears to be fed from a tank in the loft. The other (hot) tap is okay and that is fed from the hot water tank.

After turning off the mains water supply to change the taps there was still a lot of water in the system which is why I am assuming it is fed from a tank in the loft. I know there is a tank up there - it is just that I had assumed that was to feed the hot water tank only. Clearly it is for the upstairs cold water supply as well.

Having drained the loft tank to change the tap and then refilling the tank from the mains could that have introduced air into the system? The other upstairs taps for the other bathroom and baths are all okay.

I have tried to remove the valve part only but it is so tightly fitted I have not yet been able to remove it.

Try putting a hose from cold mains tap to this problem tap open problem tap then turn on cold mains tap. This should blow the airlock through ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back