Slow fill from new bath tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve just replaced my bathroom suite and I’m now having problems with water flow from the bath taps. Prior to replacing the bath and taps the bath filled at a good rate but the new tap has a very low flow rate and it takes 30mins to run a bath. The new tap is a single lever mixer (see http://tinyurl.com/pxtsv )

As well as changing the taps I have also added a 22mm ball valve to both the hot and cold feeds.

To try and diagnose the problem I have measured the flow from the tap and from the output of the pillars with the tap removed.

Flow rate from Hot Pillar 20litres/min
Flow rate from Cold Pillar 20litres/min

Flow from tap set to full cold 6litres/min
Flow from tap set to Half cold/hot 5litres/min
Flow from tap set to full hot 6litres/min

To me the combined flow of 40litres/min looks adiquate but I have nothing to compare to.

So now for my questions.

1) Is a flow of 20litres/min at the 22mm Tap Pillar to be expected?
2) Will the addition of the ball valve have a detrimental effect on flow?
3) Why has the Tap while on full reduced the combined flow of 40litres/min down to 5litres/min?

Mark

Sponsored Links
Fitz may have gone to bed... so if I may answer on his behalf, I think he meant that you might have bought a tap, such as a Continental design, which is intended to work with high-pressure water from the mains, and hads narrow internal ways; so it does not give a good flow when you attach it to a low-pressure supply from your tank.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back