New bath mixer tap shower - terrible flow rate - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just replaced my bath taps with a mixer unit with separate hot and cold levers. The taps also have a shower outlet so I got rid of the previous electric shower that drove me mad at the same time, but unfortunately the flow rate from the new shower head is terrible. The heating is provided by a Worcester 24cdi combi boiler and has 22m pipes at the bath taps end, cannot see the start as they are buried in walls. My house is a 4th floor ex-council flat.

I've measured the flow out of the bath taps as 12l/min cold, 8l/min hot and 18l/min together. If I remove the shower head and measure coming out of the tap connection hole cold comes out of here at 12l/min so the taps look ok to me.

However connect the flexible hose and cold goes down to 5l/min and 4l/min with the head attached. Hot is 7-8l/min out of the hose and also with the head attached. If I run both hot and cold at max out of the head I get 6l/min which is hardly enough to get it away from the wall and is virtually all hot which is scalding. It seems ridiculous that a low-spec combi is pushing out how water faster than mains through a shower hose! I don't think the hot water is the problem, it is the cold supply.

Is this a pressure problem? Can anyone suggest a way to remedy things? Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back