Odd flow in bath/shower mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit long winded but please bear with me. I fitted a Cross head Bath shower mixer (bought cheaply from Tool station) for my daughter, living in London, about 9 months ago. It is fitted with a 6mm shower hose. When switched to the bath the flow rates are Cold 21L/min, Hot 8L/min. When switched to the shower (without the head attached) the rates are Cold 5.4L/min, Hot 6.4L/min. I understand the reduced flow rates but I expected that the relative flow rates would remain the same. I do not know how the 'switch' in the unit is constructed hence I cannot figure out what might be happening (going wrong?). Is this a common problem of cheap mixer unit? Is it possible to get into the switched part? Switching to shower uses a lift mechanism which drops down when the water flow is removed.
With the mixer in the bath position I set the temperature of the water (using the taps) to what I thought was a comfortable shower temperature. After switching to the shower position (where of course because of the changed relative flow rates the water is too hot for a shower) I then switched back to the bath position. The temperature of the water remained too hot for maybe as much as 5 secs. Does that provide any clues? This problem has been apparent since installation.

The cold water is mains fed and the hot water is supplied by a condensing combi boiler, Potterton Gold Combi 24 HE A. If I need to I will replace the mixer unit but is there any possibility of the problem being before the mixer? Maybe a dumb question but I am an amateur. Thanks for any suggestions/info.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back