Shower gradually loses flow while other outlets unaffected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a unvented system that was installed about 18 months ago. Everything works fine except for the shower - it has always been weaker than I had wanted, and has got worse in the last year or so. The main problem is that the shower flow rate slows to a dribble over the course of 10 minutes (and isn't great to start with)

System details:

Vaillant 618 system boiler, Telford Tempest hot water cylinder, Reflex DE expansion tank, all on the ground floor.

Mains pressure into the house (I think - checked this a long time ago) is about 3 bar.

Cold flow rate direct into the house was over 20l/min.
After the balancing and isolation valves etc, I get around 18l/min hot or cold out of the taps in the house.

The shower is a Aqualisa Midas bath/shower thermostatic mixer on the first floor of the house. Feeds to that floor are all 22mm. The shower will initially give 8l/s (even if the shower head is held at the same height as the bath mixer tap), but over the course of 10 minutes this reduces to 2l/min - this is for hot or cold water. Meanwhile the direct outlet of the mixer into the bath gives 18l/min, however long I run it for.

i.e. If the shower is running at 2l/min and I switch to the bath outlet I will get 18l/min, then back to the shower: 2l/min again.

After about half an hour with it all turned off, the shower flow rate returns to ~8l/min again.

I would be satisfied if at least it would run at 8l/min continuously, but ideally I'd like it to be double this as we have the mains capacity for it. We live in London and have very hard water, so some calcification may be restricting the flow in the shower head, but I don't understand why it would reduce over several minutes, while the other outlets are completely unaffected?

Any suggestions for things to check?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I didn't read all the detail, but is it possible you have air in your cold supply and this is causing the thermostat to close the hot off?

Try changing the hose, they can become restrictive with heat as they get old.

Diverter mechanism worn and not sitting open properly or as Picasso says, try a new hose and test it without the shower head and see if there's still an issue.

Sponsored Links
OK cheers will test shower output of the mixer directly without the hose tomorrow and see if that works.

Oh and I don't think it's anything to do with the thermostat, as this problem occurs for pure hot, pure cold, and everything in between.

Run a tap at around 6LPM if nothing happens after ten minutes it looks like it's definitely the shower ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back