Combi as System - overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Worcester Greenstar 30cdi Combi, with a vented cylinder. The DHW feeds only the kitchen tap. CH is a Y plan.

When the mains water is off, the hot tap runs hot, presumably draining the cylinder. The level in the header tank drops.

When the mains is on, but the cyclinder is isolated, the hot tap runs hot, the boiler starts, presumably triggered by the hot tap running.

I’m taking this to assume my initial statement is correct. The boiler is operating as a system boiler, with the kitchen taps on the combi DHW.

The kitchen tap must be connected to both the boiler DHW feed, and the vented cylinder as gets water when both are isolated.

Here’s the problem - the overflow on the header tank has started leaking, it’s filling with hot water constantly. I discovered this because the chap who installed it didn’t connect the overflow.

There’s low pressure on the hot tap. I assume this is because the DHW from the boiler is making its way to the cylinder through the kitchen tap and overflowing it into the loft.

Q1) based on this description is my assessment of the setup plausible?

Q2) should there be a non return valve between cylinder and kitchen tap to prevent the back feeding and could this have failed open?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Could it be your boiler is being fed from the tank? Isolate the tank then run your kitchen hot tap. Or if you have an isolation on the hot supply from the cylinder or the cold supply feeding the cylinder, you can use that too.
There’s low pressure on the hot tap. I assume this is because the DHW from the boiler is making its way to the cylinder through the kitchen tap and overflowing it into the loft.

Kitchen tap is a mixer tap, when open in the mid position it's possible the cold is backflowing through the hot. It's also the posibility of your cylinder stat tripped and it's overheating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back