Overflow from CH header tank when DHW on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have water overflowing from our header tank when the DHW is on.

The water (hot) comes up the expansion pipe on the primary circuit, and over into the header tank, which then overflows outside. Slow dripping, not a gush. The header tank gets reasonably hot while this is happening.

Turning the thermostat down on the tank, and hence stopping the boiler, immediately stops the flow, as you'd expect.

Suspecting a faulty Cylinder stat, I've just replaced it, but it's made no difference....

So, any ideas ?

If the coil in the cylinder was split, it would be overflowing up the cylinder vent, not the primary circuit vent, and doing that all the time, so I can't see it being that, but could the cylinder coil be stuffed up with gunge, and so not letting much of a flow through ?

Any other possibilities ?

The boiler is a (20+ year old) floorstanding potterton. Open vented CH and DHW system, the cylinder looks about 10-15 years old I guess - it's got yellow bonded on foam insulation, so it's not absolutely ancient.

Sponsored Links
as any open vent system, it is probably full of crud; search forum, faq and wiki, hundreds of posts on same problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back