Combi boiler leaking. Is my thinking correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We Have an approx 18month old Biasi Garda HE gas boiler. For the last few weeks I have noticed that pressure drops to zero overnight when heating is off. I have tried bleeding rads in various different ways and searched for leaks (actually found a small one from towel rail which i fixed). This didnt fix problem

Today I filled system to 1.2 bar, tied a wee bag over pressure outlet pipe outside and turned heating on. Checked and bag remained empty. Turned heating off and in approx 2 hours pressure had dropped to about 0.9 bar. Whent out to find approx 20ml of water in the bag.

Am I right in thinking the the first thing I should try is to replace the 3 bar pressure release valve?

If this is correct does anyone know where is a good place to get Biasi spares from. There web site doesnt have a spares section and other online companies dont list the required part which i believe is
BI113110 E83-013 3 Bar Safety Valve.

Thanks
Craig.

Sponsored Links
.First check expansion vessel precharge. See ref section

You may have to recharge the air in the expansion vessel, fitted at the back of your boiler.

When the system pressure is zero connect a car footpump to the schraeder valve on the (red) vessel and pump up to about 1 bar. Next drain some water out of the boiler until it's zero, and pump again. Repeat until the boiler gauge still shows zero (ish) but the car pump gauge shows 1 bar. Then disconnect the pump and refill the system to 1.2 bar on the boiler gauge with the system cold.

You probably won't need a new safety relief valve unless it continues to drip after the above actions.

Not wanting to state the obv but it was the pressure relief & not the condensate pipe you put that wee bag on.

Sponsored Links
I dont think the condensate pipe goes outside, It just drips from a copper pipe on the underside if the boiler. Thats another issue, it apears to be directly above the washing machine electric socket.

Hopefully the condensate pipe ( white plastic one on right ) has been connected to a drain.

Watch the pressure gauge when you heat up the boiler from cold on CH. It should increase from 1.5 up to about 1.8 bar. If it goes over 2.5 Bar then the expansion vessel needs recharging.

If it remains below two Bar then it has dirt on the seating and you MAY be able to clear it by pressurising to 2 Bar and rotating the pressure release valve head rapidly as it "clicks" at least five times and until the pressure falls to 1.5 bar and it MAY clear the dirt and reseal without leaking.

Tony Glazier

As peter kay would say.wow wow wow wow wow. ALARM BELLS RINGIN.is the pipe u put the bag on plasic or copper.the pipe dripping on the socket does it drip all the time. if it is the pressure relief dont turn the relief knob.

Mine ecotec pro has just done the same
Been away for a few days to find the heating hadn't been on and a very cold house, It is fine when used regularly though, just seems to be when the system is idle for more than a day.

bab said:
As peter kay would say.wow wow wow wow wow. ALARM BELLS RINGIN.is the pipe u put the bag on plasic or copper.the pipe dripping on the socket does it drip all the time. if it is the pressure relief dont turn the relief knob.

The pipe which i collected water from is copper and outside. The condensate pipe is also copper and ends approx 6 inches below the boiler. I think it may be lined up to drip into the washing machine waste pipe. I Have never seen it drip though, does condensate drip constantly?

Strangely, this morning heating came on automaticaly as normal and when i got up (approx 20 after boiler started) pressure was 1 bar.

i just called the wife at home (extra day holiday), heating has been off since 8.00 this morning and pressure is now 0.7 bar.

Small question. At what pressure would a boiler refuse to light, Im sure that even with pressure at zero the it fires up.

The condensate pipe should only be in plastic.

How much it discharges depends on the operating conditions. It does not drip but comes out in bursts of 50 ml at a time.

The boiler will operate down to about 0.1 bar if there is no air in the system. But its not advisable!

You should sort out the problem! You have had enough advice by now.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back