Combi cold/static loop pressure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, folks.
Please could somebody help with my general query about combi boiler theory/operation?

In short, my question is, "Why do combi boiler heating systems have to have a cold/static pressure (typically around 1bar) in the radiator water circuit?"

I understand that the boiler's internal 'pressure vessel' accommodates the increase in water and pressure when the system is hot. But why must there be a maintained pressure in the loop when the system is cold?

To my mind of thinking, a boiler with zero pressure (when cold) will work satisfactorily when heated, so long as the pressure vessel is sound?

I just don't understand what is achieved with a static/cold pressure?

Is the answer that the gauge pressure provides visual reassurance that the radiator loop is in good health (ie filled with water)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Boilers circulate heat by using hot water. The hot water needs to be pressurised.

Some nuclear reactors use liquid sodium.

Tony

Boilers circulate heat by using hot water. The hot water needs to be pressurised.

Why ? Water gets hot without being under pressure.

Could it be to ensure there is water in the system before the boiler fires up. With a sealed system there is no header tank to replace water lost in leaks so a sealed sytem could lose enough water to become unsafe for the boiler to fire up. Requiring the sealed system to be pressurised before the boiler can fire allows for the detection of leaks and thus loss of water by a simple pressure switch.

I thought it was to leave the system easier bled and keep air out.
And of course no header tank required and less problems with pumping over.

Sponsored Links

Some nuclear reactors use liquid sodium.

Tony
Meanwhile back on planet earth, boilers have pressure sensors that aren't exactly expensive and cant monitor pressure down to minute levels so a rough "around 1 bar" is recommended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back