Combi fault help wanted

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Somewhat vague but I'm after some remote diagnostics if at all possible - to the save the house freezing if something simple.

Now unoccupied, house recently fitted with a 'high efficiency condensing combi boiler' system - Betacom Glowworm. Available paperwork shows 'A flow controls x3' - heat in, heat out, water? Are these simple main elec valves?

Some problems with original install but this is a new fault we think. Boiler in bungalow loft - can't easily see what is what.

Fancy room stat, working okay. Has been left set at 14.C (cool part of the property). Usually okay, maintains it well (normally within .5C).

On a few occasions now when the left for c.5days, the temp is not being maintained (said 7.C last time) yet room stat looks okay (shows heat demanded). Rads cold. Run the hot water, goes hot/tepid,cold,hot as normal. Rads now start to warm.

So is something shutting of the HW system and getting reset with HW demand? But boiler can't be sitting in a failure mode as always HW works on demand.

I don't know anything about combis, only 'old stytle' setups. I would assume indirect heating for HW or is this wrong.

Sponsored Links
If it works for HW, nothing simple or obvious comes to mind.
Get the manual (online) and look at the diagnostic codes/lights and see what you can work out.
It shold have a 2 year warranty. Call GW and see if it's been registered.

Loft is usually the last place I consider for a boiler.
Bad place to put it for access reasons unless your loft
is easily accessible.

It is working more than likely the fancy room thermostat is at fault
most likely wireless of some sort (the devils invention).

Check your boiler manual for the thermostat wiring and use
a piece of wire the bridge it again and the boiler should fire
up the central heating.

Sponsored Links
Okay taa.

I hadn't considered a wireless stat (I agree work of the devil) - I've passed this on to my brother who is there tonight. He does think it may be a wireless setup - he can change the batts but won't know if all okay after he's gone.
- Unsure why using the HW might get the CH working though (unless some HW switch-on spike is kicking the wireless setup into action - might have been easier if the batts just fail to give a more obvious symptom.

None of this setup is really any good but I'm not trying to rectify it's shortcomings, just get back some (reliable) background heat for winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back