Combi ladder jammed fully extended - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a 2 section combi ladder that swung open the wrong way with the lower section dropping a short distance under gravity, jamming the two sections together. It is rubber/plastic guides that have gone in/under the hinges. I've tried setting the ladder against an imovable and then pushing as hard as I can to force the guides back out from in/under the hinges. No luck. Tried using a mallett on an adjacent rung. No luck. There is some flexibility in the hinge angle but still won't come unstuck.

To my mind these rubber/plastic guides are simply for keeping the sections neat together when the ladder is collapsed and stored. I don't see them as needed for safety when the ladder is extended as that is accomplished with the hooks on the upper section that go snug over chosen rung on the lower section.

So, any ideas please:
1) on how to unjam things, or
2) can I simply try to cut these guides out (ie would this impact safety at all?)?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_163057.jpg
    IMG_20240126_163057.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20240126_154050.jpg
    IMG_20240126_154050.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20240126_154042.jpg
    IMG_20240126_154042.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Hit it again but ensure you have it square any twist will serve to keep it jammed . Don’t hit rungs or you risk damage only strike the sides on the end.

Thank you foxhole.

So go right to one foot/end of the ladder and hit there? BTW, honestly, I doubt I could hit a rung hard enough with a mallet to even dent a rung :giggle: .

And if I can't get it to unjam, would I be OK with attempting to cut out these guides/lugs?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back