Combi leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last March I had my old back boiler replaced with a combi boiler. I think I remember having to top up the water after a couple of weeks by 1/3 of a bar or so. I then kept an eye on it throughout the summer and the pressure never dropped so I thought all was well, until yesterday when I realised a couple of the radiators needed bleeding. After bleeding them the pressure had dropped at least 1/2 a bar. Is this normal over a period of around seven months? Does a new system need topping up after a while anyway? There are no signs of leakage.
TIA

Sponsored Links
When you bleed a radiator on a sealed system you reduce the pressure, and have to top it up afterwards, or from time to time during the process if bleeding several radiators.

Yes I understand that but doesn't air in the system suggest I have a leak? Or does it sound normal after several months? Do new boilers need to be topped up after a while due to the system being drained and refilled?

Sounds about right. Filling up the system with fresh oxygenated water will mean that air will form and find its way to high points in your system. It would have shown sooner if you were using the heating.

Monitor it going forward but at the moment I wouldn't be concerned.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. That has reassured me that it could well be normal. I will keep an eye on it. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back