Combi question: light on but doesn't sound like burner is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Gas Worcester Bosch 37CDi (less than a year old)

2) What is / is not happening.
CH set to come on at 6.00. It comes on, rads get hot etc, thermostat in room with rad (no TRV) has not yet reached the set temp but still the rads around the house seem to be cooling. They are all on max at the moment for testing.

When I look at the boiler the burner on light is lit but the boiler doesn't seem to be on (or burning). The boiler shows no error code.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.

No. But it's got colder outside.

So my question is this: when the burner on light is on, should the boiler always be burning (ie lit up)?
I've turned up the CH temp but nothing seems to be happening...

Appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
the boiler does fire up if the green light is on....
if you have recently turned it off at the button or switch it goes through a few minutes of filling the condense trap at low temp, but should eventually fire up

is the room stat turned up and calling for heat ?

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I've run into condense trap thing before - and it show a little symbol. It's not that in this case.

The room stat is turned up - it's the digital one from WB. The flame shows on it to indicate that it is lit (or calling for heat?).

I wonder whether it's just a case of needing to turn up the CH temp on the boiler?

If it's set too low, will the boiler turn itself off prematurely? Ie after reaching a certain internal temp?

If under 1 year it is probably the GREENSTAR, which often has a dual channel timer. if so try turning on the other channel

Sponsored Links
Hi,

No, I don't I have dual channel. I have: Worcester DT10RF Digital Optimiser (MK 1)

ANy other thoughts? Is this a completely non-question?

It sounds as if its simply a matter of the flow temperature of the boiler being too low to get enough heat into the house to satisfy thre room stat during this colder weather!

Tony

If the knob on the boiler to set the heating water temperature is turned low, then the boiler will heat the water to that temperature and then modulate it's output down to maintain that temperature... try turning the heating temperature up to max and see if the rads get a little warmer

Thanks very much to all of your for that.

I'm trying that and will let you knwo the result. Was just concerned that when it showed 'burner on' it clearly wasn't.

@Agile: Thank you for your invaluable advice at my house a while back - don't know if you will remember. Went with a combi in the end and have not regretted it. There are downsides, of course, - the main one being two instances of drawoffs being a little pain. BUt a bit of shouting down the stairs normally solves it. The major plus is the loss of the cw tank in loft (more space up there for cr*p, and loss of boiler and tank). Plus we mounted it above the stairs as I showed you and so it's completely out of sight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back