Combi Shower advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm new here so please excuse my ignorance n such matters, but I am trying to avoid spending money on the wrong shower controller.

I currently have a combi boiler, a Gloworm Hot Water Express, and a Shower Force shower controller (simple single controller type, back and forward for pressure, left and right for hot/cold). The hot feed for the shower comes from the hot water supply and the cold is from the mains.

The current shower warms up all the way to bl**dy hot and then cools down to freezing cold throught the shower cycle. It is becoming a pain to use, so I need to change the shower unit.

Would a Gainsborough Ambassador do the job, B&Q are selling them at £114 at the moment, or should I be looking at something else? :eek: I have seen various controllers such as the Grohe but have no idea whether they are any better/worse.

I am praying that someone out there with experience of these contraptions will be able to point me in the right direction. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rob G

Sponsored Links
The current shower warms up all the way to bl**dy hot and then cools down to freezing cold throught the shower cycle. It is becoming a pain to use, so I need to change the shower unit.

Why? do your hot taps exhibit the same symptoms?

Got a nasty feeling that your Glowworm Exasperate doesn't modulate, this may mean that whatever you get could be a problem, have a word with Glowworm tech, then maybe a thermostic beast may be the answer

Purchase a good thermostatic mixer.
Both will be at mains pressure and you will have a lovely shower.
As AB said if your other hot taps are going cold you will need your boiler looking at :(

Sponsored Links
Got a nasty feeling that your Glowworm Exasperate doesn't modulate, this may mean that whatever you get could be a problem, have a word with Glowworm tech, then maybe a thermostic beast may be the answer

Get your boiler checked first. No mixer in the world heats cold water! It's common for scaled combis to go hot cold hot cold etc..
Don't fit a thermostatic mixer to that sort of combi - better chance of stability of temperature with a pressure balanced one. Mira do one whose name I've forgotten, sorry.

Been through this before so it's short, sorry!

Thermostatic mixer decides (say) that it need to cool its output, so it reduces the HW flow. Reduced flow means hotter water from the combi, after a delay. So the mixer needs to reduce the hot flow more. Eventually the combi can't sustain safe output temp with reduced flow so it turns off. And you get cold water in the shower. ANd the cycle repeats.
Scaling in the boiler increases the temperature overshoot and the time delay - all worse.

So the best start is often to descale the hot water heat exchanger, if not the main one as well.

Thanks for the info, and yes I had scoured the forum for info on combi showers, and I had read the very useful post re the pressure and the combi flowing so much hot water that it shuts off and sends cold water.

Perhaps I should mention that the hot water is constant downstairs, and it is at a good pressure. Upstairs it is much lower. :confused: If I am running a hot tap it does stay hot, but it's the shower that is causing me the frustration. It would take forever to run a bath, so the shower is the only way out.

I will try the folks at Gloworm to see if they have any suggestions, but if anyone has any suggestions re a particular shower controller in the meantime then please let me know. ;)

Many thanks

Rob G

I think the Mira mentioned by ChrisR is the 415.

Bear in mind that the shower has to have a minimum flow of HW to keep the Combi firing - so if the showerhead is either badly scaled up or not allowing enough water through, that would also cause the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back