Combi v Heat Only Again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a look through old threads but wanted a current thinking response.

Current setup is classic heat only, cylinder in bathroom (Albion?), tank in loft. Boiler is a Ferroli Sigma 40-60 (everyone laughs yes) which came with the house.

House is a 4 bed 15 year old classic modern. Bathroom, ensuite, cloak. Showers in both bathrooms are thermostatic and not electric. Three live here mostly with the eldest two returning during summer etc.

Getting three guys out to quote but on the phones they're all trying to push me towards a combi. The wife would love the extra space in the bathroom for towels etc but I'm a little concerned of no backup for washing etc if the combi fails.

So, stay heat only or move to combi? Also, how are Baxi regarded now-a-days?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You need your mains water testing for pressure and flow rate to know what you are dealing with.

Having said that, with two showers, a kitchen and two other basins then I think a combination boiler really wouldn't suit your situation. Could you cope with only one outlet working properly at any one time?

If you wanted mains pressure hot water then a system boiler and unvented cylinder would be the way to go.

Jon

Thanks for the response. Just had a quote in for a Baxi Ecoblue 24. I'd assumed a powerflush was required for the warranty? Is this not the case?

Sponsored Links
The baxi quote, is that a combi or heat only?

Powerflush is not required for warranty. But clean system water is, up to the installer how they go about ensuring it is cleaned and kept that way.

24kw boiler in a 4 bed modern? Replacing an 18kw model? Are you planning an extension in the future?

24kw boiler in a 4 bed modern? Replacing an 18kw model? Are you planning an extension in the future?

Hi, I checked the ferroli and noticed the smaller rating. I never mentioned an extension to the plumber. Is it over-specced?

It means this stuff gets asked on a weekly basis. The information is here ad nauseum.

If I wanted to repeat myself, I have a perfectly good 7 year old.

But I assume you repeat yourself "ad-nauseum" on all the other threads. Do one fella.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back