combi vs hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for options as which way to go. Need a new boiler to supply both DHW and CH. Current system is a 20yr+ semi-pump/gavity fed system with cold water tank in loft, old hot water cylinder (no imm heater) in airing cupboard and power shower. That is in a 4-bedroom semi, one bathroom with 3-4 people. The options suggested by one fitter was either:

1 keep the cylinder but convert to fully pumped, add thermostat to it and get a standard condensing boiler.

2 remove/disconnect cylinder, convert to fully pumped and get a condesning combi for hot water on demand and replace power shower with an electric one.

I think the concern the other half has with combis, was we'd lose the flexibility to do more than one thing at a time. Like having a shower while putting the washing machine on or someone washing up. Not sure how much of a problem that is with a combi in practice. However, Agile mentioned in another thread there are more options and possible to keep cylinder for the bathroom and use the combi for on-demand hot water for the kitchen.

Also confused as to which is more efficient. Combi as it only heats what it used but at full ouput so no condensing and lose CH so have to reheat the house again if cold weather. Or cylinder that can use a longer low heat (allows boiler to condense?), but can lose heat while not used and via pipes. Or does a well insulated cylinder not lose a lot of heat?

The fitter seems to think the old cylinder was OK at least from the outside. Not sure how efficient it is and might be oversized for the house as it looks big? Newark Copper Cylinder 1200/450, 162L, 0.62m2 heating area, BSS1566/1 1984 grade 3. No jacket or thermostat, but has a hard mustardy colour shell? Read if we were replacing the cylinder, it's a good idea to go for a fast recovery one, that is actually better than the BS ones?

Sponsored Links
I cannot really see the point of keeping the hw cylinder and then fitting a combi as you're having a combi to save on the keeping a huge heat bank of water ready and then adding a combi which will fire on high to heat the taps in the kitchen; kinda cancels one-another out.

With the amount of occupants I would suggest a normal system with a Part L compliant cylinder; I'd go with high recovery or possibly a thermal store unit to allow the running of several consecutive baths if the location for the cylinder allows.

Your installer needs to rethink the cylinder situation; as I very much doubt yours will meet Part L requirements and as such will need replacing. Part L is about efficiency and the cylinder you describe is likely to fail on them requirements. A cylinder must meet BS standards no matter what ;)

Interesting, thanks. I'm wondering if this fitter has seen Part L lately, as he said don't bother with TRVs either. :confused: Good job I'll be getting a couple more quotes anyway.

So having a Part L compliant cylinder is a requirement even when just replacing a boiler now or only if the existing cylinder needs replacing?

So having a Part L compliant cylinder is a requirement even when just replacing a boiler now
Fraid so, that's the Reg. Seems environmentally counterproductive to throw away a good cylinder such as yours, when all it should have to have is an extra jacket.
Bring me the penpusher who decreed that and I'll call him a revolting jerk to his face. :evil:

20 years ago there was, for humble folk like me, the choice between what were generally called "medium duty" cylinders (horrid) and "BS" (decent) ones.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
So having a Part L compliant cylinder is a requirement even when just replacing a boiler now
Fraid so, that's the Reg. Seems environmentally counterproductive to throw away a good cylinder such as yours, when all it should have to have is an extra jacket.
Bring me the penpusher who decreed that and I'll call him a revolting jerk to his face. :evil:

20 years ago there was, for humble folk like me, the choice between what were generally called "medium duty" cylinders (horrid) and "BS" (decent) ones.

Yes but an old cylinder buys an dall day breakfast for me and the lad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back