COMBINATION CYLINDERS HOT WATER (only)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im thinking of buying a combination cylinder to supply my chalet (in Mablethorpe) with hot water, ie Cold (mains pressure) straight to the tank, with a feed then from the outlet of the cylinder to the taps it will feed bath, kichen sink, and a small wash hand basin.

What size (type) should I go for and what is the difference between a Direct and in-direct cylinder? Thanks, Richard!!

Sponsored Links
you are probably thinking of a Fortic cylinder

An Indirect cylinder can be heated by a boiler if you have one now or later. A Direct can only be heated by an immersion heater . electricity is more expensive than gas. It is more flexible to have both.

cylinders are usually about 100 litres which is enough for a bath. A smaller one will annoyingly not be enough. A Power Shower uses a vast amount of water and can drain a cylinder in 10 minutes.

If you are thinking of a Pressurised cylinder, they can be dangerous if incorrectly fitted or not regularly maintained and are outside my experience. I believe they have to be fitted by a specially qualified person. I am a householder not a plumber.

Normally direct is for hot water only and indirect has a coil fitted inside for use with a heating system.

Get the largest standard size that will fit, maybe 1200x450mm, as it doesn't sound as if you'll need too much hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back