combination padlock - seaside area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my Weatherproof combination padlocks, which have rusted up and stopped working , mainly as usdd outside in the garden, and with the salt air not lasted very long at all.
Looking at screwfix & toolstation , even the Stainless steel & boron carbide version have a lot of poor reviews
Don't want keys, Unless I get another keysafe and keep the padlock keys in there , bit of a hassle

Anyway recommendations please, note it will be outside and fully exposed to our salt air from the sea 0.5kM away

Sponsored Links
Squire 660

I use them in a similar location.

It looks old-fashioned, but inside the galvanised case, it has a brass mechanism. You can wash out the dirt every five tears or so in paraffin if you want. It is a 4-lever lock. Last 20 times as long as a typical cylinder padlock.

It's the brass moving parts, and the large size of the internal components, that makes them resistant to corrosion or jamming with dirt or grit.

If you spray-paint the outer case, it will extend the life of the galvanising (which eventually weathers away)

You are just going to have to put up with keys. You can get several locks suited to a single key if you want. This is very convenient. Ask for the same PES number (a proper locksmith will be very familiar with this).

You could also get an "FB" (fire brigade) padlock, which is similar, but not very secure as it has a standard key.

You may sometimes see other heavyweight padlocks with a brass-lever mechanism, they are sometimes used on roadbuilders sites, suited to the same key for convenience. Screwfix used to do one, I think imported from India.

ERA make a 5-lever and a 6-lever "Insurance" rated padlock, at a higher price

ae235
64mm Squire 660

489660.jpg
ERA 5-lever (looks stronger)

861106.jpg
ERA 6-lever

try https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=era+padlock

Sponsored Links
When I was walking along West Mersea seafront last week, many of the beach huts had plastic bags tied around their padlocks, presumably to protect them from the salt air/sea spray on windy days.

That's OK

When your next padlocks stop working, buy a 660.

I'd go for the ERA.
Well known brand, long standing company and the locking bar accessibility area is quite small which helps prevent the use of bolt cutters to break it open.

I have had a number of Squire locks and, whilst being pretty good, they can be fairly easy to pick the levers.

I'd go for the ERA.

yes, and the price is currently surprisingly low at Ironmongery.

I don't know if they do Keyed Alike. That was the clincher when I got the Squires (also used on external gates at the commercial premises, very convenient and you end up with plenty of keys)

edit
here we are, keyed alike, more expensive and more secure than the Squire

https://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Era-975-5-Lever-Padlock.html

https://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Asec-5-Lever-Closed-Shackle-Laminated-Padlock.html

I will confess that my gates are not very secure, but an athletic burglar could climb over them quicker than picking a lock.

The Squire is the only one I have experience of, that has given me a 20-year life, exposed coastal, and still working.

edit
Good price, if you want it, keyed alike option (your choice of key)
https://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/squire-660-old-english-galvanised-padlock.html

Last edited:
Worth checking Lockpickinglawyer on youtube before you actually shell out - there's a lot of padlocks that are supposedly secure but have significant flaws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back