Combining foil quilt and rockwool for joist insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm having the insulation in my loft removed and redone (due to mice) and as I wan't to keep the boards on the joits (and keep a cold loft) have been offered the option to have 5cm rockwool pushed up against the ceiling plasterboard, plus a foil quilt (e.g. the YBS superquilt) draped under the boards.

My concern is that if they seal the quilt around the edges (which I understand is what is required) there is a risk of condensation between the rockwool and the quilt.

Does anyone have experience of this type of configuration? Did it cause problems with condensation?

Total depth of the joists is 9.5cm. I'm not looking to get to 100% requirements of buildings regs, just to achieve maximum heat retention possible via resonably priced under-the-boards methods.

Thanks!

Londoner

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore and I may be wrong! :)

However, at a recommended loft insulation thickness of around 250 - 270mm (for Rockwool), your proposed solution isn't going to get anywhere close!

There is also some debate on here and elsewhere about the efficacy of superquilt insulation. If it's done properly it may work. Decent air gaps are required around it to create insulating air pockets; if it is squeezed between a layer of Rockwall and the loft boarding, these air pockets may be lost.

The quilting is also expensive.

Personally, in my loft, I have laid Rockwool between the joists and another layer perpendicular over the top (ensuring soffit ventilation is maintained! ;) ). I have then used a loft leg system to raise the loft boards above the insulation.

Good luck! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back