Combining Permitted Development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am looking at a couple of options in terms of putting in a planning application. The list of the works that I am hoping to do are as follows.

Hip to gable extension
3m single story extension
Building a porch at the front of the house

Now, there is also a garage as well, I plan to convert the garage to habitable living space and also incorporate a porch. I understand that this has to go to full planning.

I have applied for a 6m single story extension, now I will only know in 3 weeks time if that is successful or not, there were no neighbour comments so its down to the case officer to make a decision in the next few weeks. I do however want to plan in case the 6m extension is refused for whatever reason.

I am thinking of what work can I start whilst going through the building process, any work that I do must have the associated paperwork from the council.

Any ideas please ?

850.jpg

Sponsored Links
My suggestion would be not to over-develop a small house unless you plan to live in it until the end of your days

Sponsored Links
1. If you have applied for a 6m rear extension under the neighbour consultation scheme and no neighbour has objected within the 21-day period, the council must give you the go-ahead regardless of their opinion on it; they do not have any say if no-one objects.

2. the hip-to-gable does not need planning permission.

3. a front porch of ground area< 3 sq m does not need planning permission.

4. conversion of the garage to habitable room does not need planning permission.

1. If you have applied for a 6m rear extension under the neighbour consultation scheme and no neighbour has objected within the 21-day period, the council must give you the go-ahead regardless of their opinion on it; they do not have any say if no-one objects.

2. the hip-to-gable does not need planning permission.
I need paperwork when i come to sell, so how can i get paperwork if i dont have planning permission ?

3. a front porch of ground area< 3 sq m does not need planning permission.
I need paperwork when i come to sell, so how can i get paperwork if i dont have planning permission ?

4. conversion of the garage to habitable room does not need planning permission.
I always thought planning was needed to do this, are you sure as everyone in my area applies for this.

For the hip-to-gable you would be ill-advised to apply for planning permission because most councils hate them, and you would almost certainly get a refusal. You apply for a Lawful Development Certificate, which the council must give you as a hip-to-gable is permitted development. Then whn you sell,you've got that piece of paper.
You seem unsure of the legal side of all this - you really need to speak with a local architect or technician.

For the hip-to-gable you would be ill-advised to apply for planning permission because most councils hate them, and you would almost certainly get a refusal. You apply for a Lawful Development Certificate, which the council must give you as a hip-to-gable is permitted development. Then whn you sell,you've got that piece of paper.
You seem unsure of the legal side of all this - you really need to speak with a local architect or technician.

I'm aware of the hip to gable and the fact that it needs to go through the PD route.

The bit I'm unsure about now is the garage and porch. I am unsure about the porch because if i measure it and it's more than 3sqm then I have to go through normal planning. The garage I'm unsure as it would have a window fronting the house incorporated with a porch. Not sure if all that can be PD.

The porch would need p.p. if on the front and > 3 sq m. Putting a window in the garage instead of the door would not need p.p., even though it changes the appearance. If you put some sort of canopy over it, continuous with the porch roof, then that would need p.p.

Thanks for the reply, the attached picture is what i want to end up with.
In this picture the porch is more than 3sqm, If i kept it within 3sqm is it just a lawful development certificate that would be needed ?

front.jpg

The porch would need p.p. if on the front and > 3 sq m. Putting a window in the garage instead of the door would not need p.p., even though it changes the appearance. If you put some sort of canopy over it, continuous with the porch roof, then that would need p.p.

You apply for a Lawful Development Certificate...
or you just hold fast to your principles and point out what a numpty the conveyancer is for insisting upon this pointless piece of paper. Except in changes of use, and certain other instances, 'lawful development' is not 'needed'

or you just hold fast to your principles and point out what a numpty the conveyancer is for insisting upon this pointless piece of paper. Except in changes of use, and certain other instances, 'lawful development' is not 'needed'

The young pretender is making a bid for Woody's crown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back