Compact DAB/FM aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a DAB mini hi-fi which comes with a long ribbon type aerial and screw adaptor (F-type?).

Can anyone recommend a more compact aerial?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The supplied aerial is indeed supposed to be for both DAB and FM and it does give a pretty good reception.

I only need the FM side of it for two local stations, so the signal for them is quite strong.

I was just hoping that there was a compact version available which does both as well. I have seen some online but they come with varying reviews!

The first link you posted has a different connection, so I've put an image of the back panel below

View media item 80373

Did you read ALL of the info. that I linked to?

See what you can receive with a paperclip stuck in the threaded 'F' socket.

If not everything, try a piece of wire about 50cm long.

Sponsored Links
Most if not all compact indoor aerials are an exercise in hope over common sense.

If the signal is strong enough for a ribbon aerial to work then that will be as good as any compact indoor FM/DAB aerial. Some of the basic principles to follow with TV and radio aerials are: - height - clear line of sight and more metal in the air, but quality and not crap tinfoil

These are all things that indoor aerials do not do. Compacts have very little metal in the air and rarely have an unimpeded line of sight to the transmitter(s). They're often shoved in corners or up against a wall because that looks neat. No amount of boosting is going to compensate for a lack of signal from the aerial no matter what the advertising blurb says.

If you have a T-shaped ribbon aerial then it is acting like a half-wave dipole because that's what it is. (see pic)

wp89cc1e08_01_1a.jpg

Align the ribbon the same way then it will work in a similar fashion. DAB frequencies are higher than FM, so the FM aerial will pick them up if aligned vertically. It might not be as good as a dedicated DAB aerial, but it will do. The challenge with ribbon aerials is where do you put them so that they work their best. As soon as they're attached to a wall then the efficiency drops off. The other challenge with indoor aerials is modern insulation. Kingspan and similar foil backed insulating products make a fabulous Faraday cage. They block the incoming radio waves before they even reach the aerial.

So, if you have decent performance from the ribbon then I'd say don't waste your money on an alternative indoor aerial. If radio is a big part of your listening then get a dipole put up outside. That's your best option.

Thanks for the replies.
The paperclip didn't work that well, but attaching a bit of wire did - however it looks worse that the ribbon aerial so I guess I'll have to stick with the original and hide it as best I can!

OK, if you are happy with the performance of the piece of wire, you could try a hair-thin length of enamelled copper wire. It would be barely visible. It can be obtained by unwinding a transformer or choke, taken from the power supply of a broken power supply or charger.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Disassemble-an-E-block-transformer/

An alternative is a strip of aluminium foil that could be glued behind wallpaper or shaped to make a "feature" of it.

There are many ways to make a disguised aerial.

Hmm...
We have plenty of redundant mobile chargers, so maybe worth cracking one open?

It's worth a look. The transformer in a charger is tiny so you might need a magnifying glass!

Use fine sandpaper to remove the insulating enamel from about 3cm near the end of the wire and wrap around the paperclip wire.

I'll give it a go.
If it's too small I'll have a rummage in the loft as I'm sure there will be older/bigger chargers somewhere up there!
Cheers.

Experiment. It might be critical or you might find it doesn't matter. Depends a lot on the signal strength and local interference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back