Composite door - Secure by desgin replacing centre lock gearbox

Reaction score
Country
Palau
The latch sticks and is only about 25% out when the door handle is pulled down and released and therefore door does not stay closed. I used silicon spray made no difference. When you press the latch a few times and sometimes by itself the latch comes out fully and door shuts properly. The locks work etc.

I've looked at centre lock gearboxes and vary from about 17 to 90 quid.

How many keys do they come with as not of the sites state this
in the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133554350206?hash=item1f1875a87e:g:89UAAOSwX95fkZNm

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
They don't come with keys, you reuse your existing barrel and keys

Thanks but there is no barrel as this is the euro lock type. This has the larger key and not the Yale type

please see below
s-l1600.jpg

To be clear its not a euro cylinder type lock ie barrel type but the casset type that has the larger key to it the key that is round pencil-like frm the length of it.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok thats a Vectis style which uses a Chubb or back door style key found in mortice locks, euro cylinders use a Yale style key, internally the gearboxes are pretty much the same apart from the key fitment

Thank you crank

I was looking on the net and I think you've answered my next question IE

My Era Vectis that takes the large key. If I was to repalce the gearbox like for like other than have a hole for the Euro cylinder from Yale as I have a high security yale fitted to a back door. The door the lock is fitted as things added on to the door to cover the larger hole so if i leave those out and get a euro type cylinder type lock of the correct depth will it be ok

The picture here i posted by mistake, can that be used in place and i am now aware i will need a euro cylinder

The door is supposed to be high security and not sure if ERA Vectis is that as I changed the backdoor lock to anti snap Yale high security lock that was easy
but this is a bit more daunting and i will need to remove to get the measurements etc

Thanks

UPDATE

We actually bought an Evitca Era lock with three keys inc postage 37 quid.
Best price we were quote for an all-inclusive price was 210 pounds

I'd read a lot on and watch Youtbue vids

It took me and my OH about an hour, about 15 mins were spend looking for the right torx head.

The lock works 100% it was a problem with the latch not coming out fully when opened via handle inside and we had to push it in at an agnle to come out. I had a look at the old unit looked like a bit of wear and tear had loosened a cog.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back