compression fitting leak.draining the system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,I posted on here a few days ago and got the advice necessary,many thanks for that :D .
I have to fix a leak on a compression fitting going into an upstairs radiator and I`m fairly sure I know what to do.I`d just appreciate any comments on the following.
I`m going to drain the system using the drain valve downstairs at floor level,bleed the radiator where the leak is and,hopefully,just drain enough of the system so that upstairs is "dry".
couple of questions,do I need to turn the mains off?,do I need to bleed all the upstairs radiators or just the one? how do I add the inhibitor?
and finally,when I refill the system,in what order do I bleed the radiators?

I have a sealed system,with an ariston micro genus HE24 combi boiler

thanks again in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
You can do it without draining,turn isolating valves for flow and retun off under boiler release pressure through rad bleed screw into a bucket prob get a couple of pints a vacum then forms .
Turn off the rad valve on opposite side of the rad then you can take off the faulty connection and repair you will get minimal amount of water.

hi namsag,just to clarify things for me,the leak is on the pipe coming out of the floor into the bottom of the thermostatic valve.will your suggestion still work for that?
do you mean turn off the thermo valve or the non thermo valve?

thanks again.

Yes will work turn off the non thermo valve, but you must turn valves off under the boiler otherwise it wont create a vacum.

When you release the pressure do it from the rad with the leak.

If you cannot turn the valves off just drain and open all bleeds upstairs

Sponsored Links
thanks again for that,pretty confident I can manage to do this without flooding the house out.

cheers.

I need to get in touch with you about your fiesta problem, please email me or look at your old fiesta question, we have the same problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back