Concrete estimation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group, can anyone guesstimate how much concrete I will need for this small project ( drive way extension), its for one of my neighbours and they don,t have much money so I really don't want to order too much. We have added hard core to the base and its approx 4 inches deep, appreciate that the plan is not to scale, and its measured in metres, thanks people.
concrete.jpg

Sponsored Links
Half a meter of concrete, bulk bag of ballast and 6/7 cement would be close, you may need a few small bags of ballast.

So the volume is 0.5456 cuMtr
(2.6+0.5/2=1.55
1.55x3.2=4.96 sqMtr surface area
4.96x0.11=0.5456 surface area x depth)

I'll go CG's comments - bulk bag of ballast and 6 or 7 bags of cement. Buy more (10) cement from a DIY barn that allows you return unused.

you should have some ballast left over with those quantities.

Last edited:
Get the ready mix people round, they only charge you for what you’ve had and will probably help you barrow it in. Even if they have a minimum charge and you pay a bit more, when you factor in the labour involved plus the pain in the bum of over/under ordering it’s worth it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice guys, half a metre was more than enough, I didn't mention that there is a manhole cover in the middle of the pour, thanks again, invaluable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back