Concrete Floor for Log Cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I am starting to cost up how much I need to get rid of my old sheds and get a nice new Log Cabin in my garden. When we bought the house a couple of years ago, we knew we would need something bigger as we did not have a garage, so this has always been the master plan. I am looking at a 5mx5m log cabin by Tuin, which seems to fit the build and budget, so that it pretty much sorted. Now to what I consider the hard part. The base. As we are going to be using it as a workshop / storage / tabletennis room, I was thinking of keeping the floor in the cabin concrete. This should save a few hundred pounds on extra wood and have a really solid flooring. My garden is almost 7 meters wide, so the should be plenty of room at the sides for painting and maintenance. At the moment I have a raised concrete base that one of my sheds is already on (approx 3m x 2.5m). I would like to use this as part of my new base. Is this usually a good idea? Also I would like the finish on the concrete floor to be pretty smooth, like you get in garages. Do you do this finish when you make the base, or screed it after once the cabin is in? Also would just a layer of DPM be enough to stop moisture, or would I need to seal the flooring?
Also my house has side access, which is a godsend. The base is probably 100 feet to the roadside. Would it be possible to get a concrete truck and pump the concrete directly to the base at that distance? Also is this size base doable in 1 go?

If I was also to pay someone to do this, what would I be looking at, cost wise...

Thanks in advance...

Nick

Sponsored Links
Firstly remove the existing concrete as it wont have a dpm and at 5x5 you dont need a movement joint so its much better as one piece.

Mainly you need to consider how you will waterproof the wall/ floor junction. If you do a nice concrete slab and powerfloat it as you would a garage then when you set your log cabin on it water will want to creep under the wall. Ideally your concrete slab would be the exact size of the cabin minus say 30mm Then the outer cladding can extend down beyond the concrete base. You need to check with the mftr if a skirt of cladding can be attached under the bottom piece as it's tongue needs to locate into the groove etc

This could be done by cutting the base to the exact size required once the building arrives and you can see the exact footprint.

The other option would be to pour a concrete base put the building on then use a liquid dpm and a screed inside over the top.

It largely depends on how the building is made so best to contact the mftr see what they suggest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back