Concrete flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice regarding concrete flooring please.
With the rubble and sand blinding + 100mm insulation i'm left with 110mm to internal floor level.
Is this enough for concrete + screeding?

The room Will be used as a kitchen.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No it's not enough depth, but if you get the concrete level, with a nice troweled finish, you don't need to screed it as well :)

Will this be ok with building inspector? I dont mind not having screed at all as long as the buider get a smooth finish. If he isint confident enough to get a smooth finish is the no way i can work the screed and concrete with in 110mm?

Building inspector won't give a chuff about quality of finish, all he cares about is that you aren't wasting valuable heat thru the floor, have a dpm and won't have concrete so thin you'll put your foot thru it.

You can always use self-levelling compound (plus tile adhesive if tiling) to sort out any unevenness.

Sponsored Links
There is no structural requirement for screed, so you can level the concrete if you like - but this will be hard to get nice and smooth so you should allow to self level it afterwards

Or take a bit off the hardcore, use 80mm Celotex insulation and then you have enough for a 100mm slab and 50mm screed

but this will be hard to get nice and smooth so you should allow to self level it afterwards

I've never had much success with self levelling compound. . :rolleyes:

Basically it never seems to self level even after I've added extra water as some people have recommended.... I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. I generally use a levelling compound made by Evode ( makers of of Evo Stik ). Evo Stik certainly does what it says on the tin, I don't know why their levelling compound doesn't....... :confused:

You will always get some trowel marks in it, and you should not think the "self level" means a perfect glass-like finish

Many people trowel it too much, and keep on trowelling it and it just gets worse.

Pour it out, and then just spread it out with the float to near enough, and then leave it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back