concrete floors in new houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound like a stupid question but does anyone know how concrete floors in new houses are laid. do they pour in the concrete all in one go to produce a seamless floor or is it produced off site in several large chunks and then put down. I ask because my concrete kitchen floor has what looks like big cracks running along it in sections but they look too straight to be stress cracks, its very puzzling. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I can only speak from what i have seen, so it may not be your case. (i am not a builder just in the right place at the right time to watch)

I have seen a warehouse having a floor laid, all done with umpteen concrete mixers turning up and dropping off their load, then it was "polished" with what looks like a fan but rotating slowly and actually on the concrete itself, it also had very thin dividers (never did find out what they were made of) to allow for expansion

Unless a prefabricated floor is being built it is usually laid on site and wo to any one who walks on it while it is setting.

I have also seen (not close up) an office block having a floor laid, they have put what looks like timber under the steel work and concrete mixers turn up and drop their load into a concrete pumping lorry which pumps it to the floor required

aug02_04a.jpg

5 concrete pumping lorries and concrete mixer (beats using a wheel barrow)

It may be (only may be) that the lines are in your floor to allow for expansion, are they symetrical? and how big is the floor

so i was right then, its not as in your case , nice one masona

Sponsored Links
I'm not always right !!! (so my wife tell me )

Also I forgot to mention regarding the floating concrete floor,saving cost without having to put down reject/hardcore,membrane + concrete which is supported by air vent bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back