Concrete gutter leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My Mum has an ex-council house, about 50 yrs old. It has concrete gutters with cast iron downpipes.
The gutters are this shape:
House wall, roof sloping into gutter, Gutters have a flat base
\
|/\
|/| \
|/|___)
|/|
|/|

The gutters are made of lengths of pre cast concrete about 4ftlong with mortar joints. Some joints are now leaking, causing damp which comes through to the internal walls of the bedrooms.
About 10 yrs ago the council put a liner in the gutters of the council-owned houses, it looks like a continuous alloy strip shaped to match the internal profile of the gutter. Does anyone know what that might be and where I could get some?

She's had several attempts to fix it, usually involving an odd job man trying to seal the joints with something.
The latest quote is £195 from a builder who will clean out the gutters front and back, (that’s about 40ft length in total) and use something called Flashbond. Would that do the job?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's concrete and not asbestos gutter?

if its ex council, that means it must now be your mum's? why not, not bother trying to line it, remove old guttering and put up new guttering, sounds better to me

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
if its ex council, that means it must now be your mum's? why not, not bother trying to line it, remove old guttering and put up new guttering, sounds better to me

these type of gutters are cast concrete and built into the walls spaning both the inner and outer skin of the wall -hence the damp problems. it would be a major task to remove them involving much building and roofing work although this would be the ideal solution.

edited to correct quote

:oops: ah i see then. in that case "plan b" put the new guttering in the old one

Butyl pond liner.stuck down with silicone (neutral curing) :LOL: Well this is a diy site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back